Picking up a battery.

SportPhish31

Seaman Apprentice
I'm pretty new to owning a boat so I have a lot of questions if y'all haven't noticed yet. Anyways when I went to go buy my boat they battery was dead so I pulled my battery out of my car and dropped it in. I turn the key and nothing. The outdrive hydraulics worked fine though. Is this normal? I didn't hook it up that well idk if that effect much. What type of battery would my 17' searay Seville need also?

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Picking up a battery.

you may missed a wire, or it wasn't a good enough connection.

what happened when you tried to start? any clicks?

as for what battery to buy, what electronics would be running off this battery? I am a huge Optima fan, the shortest one has lasted for me was 10ish years, and they won't break down from vibrations

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

One of the things we do as men is try to cut corners, the problem is when you do that with electricity those corners can cause issues, the first thing I would do is make sure you have made good connections, without the connections being solid the electricity cannot flow properly and can cause the very issues you are seeing.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

was the safty lanyard inplace ?

SportPhish31

Seaman Apprentice

Im prolly gonna put in LEDs but that's no issue really. I actually don't know if it even has a safety lanyard. Its a 86 searay. What type I've battery should I get? Like voltage and stuff?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The simple answer is the biggest one you can afford, you can't get too big of a battery but you can get one that is too small and make sure it is a marine battery, they are built a bit heavier than a car battery because boats take such a beating.

If you are going to eventually run a stereo, livewells ect ect a 2 battery system is highly reccomended, you want a house battery to run the boat and a starting battery to get the engine going, this way if you kill the house battery you can still get home, I personnaly run 3, 2 house and a starter but I night fish so I run lights all night , pump water in and out of the livewell and have a stereo and a 55 lb troller.

tpenfield

Staff member

I'm pretty new to owning a boat so I have a lot of questions if y'all haven't noticed yet. Anyways when I went to go buy my boat they battery was dead so I pulled my battery out of my car and dropped it in. I turn the key and nothing. The outdrive hydraulics worked fine though. Is this normal? I didn't hook it up that well idk if that effect much. What type of battery would my 17' searay Seville need also?

It is a bit hard to tell based on not having quite enough information about the history of the boat . . .Like did it work prior to when you bought it, have you actually seem it running etc.?

Anyway, nothing 'overly' special about the batteries and electrical systems of a boat versus a car, in that an automotive battery should be able to start the engine, etc. There are special 'marine' batteries and that is what you want to use for the boat on a permanent basis.

However, your trials so far indicate an issue with the starter and/or related components. You will probably have to trace through things, and check the things that have been mentioned so far. That fact that other systems work is a good sign.

If you have your Radio Shack multi-meter handy, that would be helpful. You can also download the manual for your engine . . . the bulk of the electrical system in boats is based on the engine (Mercruiser, Volvo-Penta, etc) rather than the boat manufacturer.