pick up timing and spark advance ?

sat1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class
why cant u set timing with flush system i have boat out of water until i can get it to run properly. If anyone has advice on how to find top dead center for timing without tool please let me know thank you .ps this forum is great with lots of knowledgeable people

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: pick up timing and spark advance ?

Timing might need to be set at WOT.When asking question give info on the unit your working on. Make Model Year HP.This will help to diagnose the prob.Jerry

Last edited:

Benny1963

Lieutenant

jerry have you swapped flywheels or something or do you think someone
messed with you timeing pointer .
i know no other way to do it without piston stop tool although there are post on here on how to make one ,your boat needs to be under load
not on muffs for wot timeing

Benny1963

Lieutenant

look for joe reeves post on wot timeing without it running in.faq

sat1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't swap the fly wheel just trying to do a sync and link. It's sort of confusing even with the Seloc manual. It is a 70 hp Johnson 1988.

Rebuilt carbs, new fuel lines, idles fine on land with muffs.....also idles fine on the water but when you put it in gear it bogs out and dies.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Benny1963

Lieutenant

yes the seloc is hard to under stand
i believe tash gave you alink on setting your timeing without running boat
i believe thats joes method .that i had told ya about .
if the timeing pointer has not been touched and you have swapped flywheels
you should not have to set timeing pointer .but if you want to be sure
its process is in your manual.if that part confuzes you pm me i just did mine it may be easier for me to explain it looked complicated ,but when it was said and done it was simple ,

Benny1963

Lieutenant

sorry typeo i meant if you have not changed flywheels or moved pointer you should not have to set pointer

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is your timer base advancing BEFORE your throttle? This used to happen to me, and I found that someone who had been working on it forgot to put the timer advance spring back in. I've also heard of them breaking. They're cheap enough though. I wanna say 10 bucks list? Something to check out anyways