Pest problem lower level of home in MN

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So I just realized today I have a pest problem downstairs. I am guessing mouse by the tiny black turds and gray clump of hair I saw.

I also noticed I have either gopher or mole holes in my yard that are fresh. My better half had insisted there was no CURRENT problem with gophers/moles and the jacked up yard was from a prior problem.

Can I take care of either one of these easily myself and deter future critters, or should I hire a residential pest control expert to assess the situation?

I realized I have a hole to my home...where plumbing to an external faucet used to be. I will plug that. I also have a gap in sheetrock from my garage into my lower level hallway leading to the high visibility mouse are on the opposite end of my home...which is also open to upstairs as its a fireplace The ducts for hvac flow INTO my garage...imagine that...and then along the width of the home to the other side where the chimney stack is.

Long story short it probably should be sealed off. I can provide pics tomorrow of layout, potential culprit spots and mouse feces.

I havent heard any mice...but my lower level bathroom which is all underground smells like urine...even after my girlfriend bleaches the entire thing...almost as if it's in the walls. Please tell me I dont have a serious problem to fix :facepalm:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Pest problem lower level of home in MN

Place some decon in the holes and then a small piece of paper....... then seal the holes up. If you close up the holes initially with dirt......the critter's will dig it back out and let you know if it is active. If you toss some ready mix concrete in the holes the dampness of the ground and rainwater will mix and it will harden. I would also set a few traps in the basement or get a big cat.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

A temp fix for holes in the wall (were they have chewed through or like were the tap went through)till you have time for a proper patch job is steel wool stuffed into the hole.

korygrandy

Well this is embarrassing. So what I thought was mice turds at 11pm, turned out to be some dead bugs at 9am. No threat here...but at least I have some traps now!

I do have a seperate problem with moles in my yard, for that I purchased a few of those powered high frequency noise-makers...and a death trap that I placed in what I THINK is the active hole.

foodfisher

Captain

I hear those wind powered sunflowers on a wire work real well. Something about the vibration fouls up the moles predator warning system so they move on.

korygrandy

I hear those wind powered sunflowers on a wire work real well. Something about the vibration fouls up the moles predator warning system so they move on.

Awesome! I am on it!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Moles are one of my challenges too. And with 2 acres of lawn its tough to control them. They are feasting on grubs in your lawn, so if you can afford the grub x for your lawn the rodents will move on. Setting traps for moles is fun too but you wont get them all and they will come back for the food source of grubs.
My buddy has a Jack Russel who will sit there and watch the mole hills and then start digging, and he gets em too, just not all of them. Getting rid of the grubs is the only way I was able to keep them out.
Google mole exterminator, farmers have issues with them too, cows breaking ankles and such.

I almost invested in one of these babies, anything that blows up stuff is fun to use right!!
http://www.rodenator.com/
Watch the action video- very good sales job IMO.

korygrandy

Moles are one of my challenges too. And with 2 acres of lawn its tough to control them. They are feasting on grubs in your lawn, so if you can afford the grub x for your lawn the rodents will move on. Setting traps for moles is fun too but you wont get them all and they will come back for the food source of grubs.
My buddy has a Jack Russel who will sit there and watch the mole hills and then start digging, and he gets em too, just not all of them. Getting rid of the grubs is the only way I was able to keep them out.
Google mole exterminator, farmers have issues with them too, cows breaking ankles and such.

I almost invested in one of these babies, anything that blows up stuff is fun to use right!!
http://www.rodenator.com/
Watch the action video- very good sales job IMO.

Yeah...perfect sales video. Anyone whose experienced these critters definitely wants to blow them up. Especially if you've twisted an ankle on there tunnels once or twice.

Thanks for the GrubEx idea. I did some additional research. I am presuming I missed my chance this season since the tunnels are already popping up, but I will be putting this down next year for certain. It's not encouraging reading about people fighting moles for 4years.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What about the bathroom that smells like urine?

"We aim to please. You aim too, please." :)