Personal Security Paranoia

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Personal Security Paranoia

Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin state line.

Have Rockford, Illinois' second largest city right here. Milwaukee about an hour away. And Chicago about an hour and change away by highway.

I'm in a very low crime area. I feel safe enough here that leaving car and even house doors unlocked is not automatically cause for alarm.

Frequently, I go for late night walks through the neighborhood, (there are no street lights) always unarmed, and feel perfectly safe and content. Although I have access to a weapon if desired, we keep none in the house.

Even when I lived in high crime areas I never regularly went about armed--although there was one in that particular house.

As far as where I would ultimately boat (I don't own a boat currently), I don't know. The Rock river is closet. Illinois's Chain O' Lakes maybe fifty miles away. Lake Michigan a bit farther.

And that's the real question. Security would or would not be a serious issue contingent upon where I'd be docking. If in Chicago, where I have personally witnessed the aftermath of man's inhumanity to man in the form of dead bodies still lying warm on the street, chalk outlines being drawn, wash down crews scrubbing away the brain matter of the deceased--yes, I'd like to have something on board, a bat, a gun, a two by four with a nail, a machete, a skillet of hot grease--something other than my handsome face and bare fists.

hmm I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago...ya downtown is not the place to hang out, thats for sure. I was too young to know anything about the waterways there at the time though. I would imagine lake michigan with a decent sized boat would be a blast, similar to out on the open ocean. I do once in a while wonder if my truck is okay while im gone, but thats it.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Throw some tacks on your deck before you go to sleep. Then you will know when the natives sneak on board.

LOL

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

5150 is right. they want quick and easy. swimming 2 miles offshore to steal your wallet seems a touch much. don't sleep overnight near somalia, and you should be cool.

you are right. get a permit to carry. and not for on the water.

in a pinch, you do have a flare gun, right?

justice...regular or extra crispy?:eek:

:eek::eek:
UMMMM.......LIKE DO YOU WANT SAUCE WITH THAT???:D:D

45Auto

Commander

:eek:

marlboro180 said:
I do not plan to bring a sidearm, I'll leave them at home . A flare gun is much more effective.

Fine words typed by someone who obviously has no experience with either device. You sure those are Marlboro's you're smoking???

Maybe you could become a consultant to the Pentagon and save the US military hundreds of millions of dollars in sidearm and ammo purchases!! Do you really think that all the militaries in the world, cops, game wardens, bad guys, etc, would carry sidearms if a frigging flare gun was more effective??

The kids around here have "Roman Candle" wars every 4th of July and New Years. The bigger roman candles shoot further than the 12 gauge flares, and you get 10 shots. They shoot each other with them for fun!!!

I really hope nobody on here believes a flare gun will stop an attacker if their life is threatened. Grab a boathook, billy club, fillet knife, etc, rather than going for the flare gun.

People shoot themselves and others with flare guns several times a year with pretty minor results. There was 4 year-old last month who was shot with a flare gun. Didn't do much to him.

http://www.ncbuy.com/news/2009-08-04/1018324.html

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

In my line of work you end up traveling to some of the most remote and dangerous places in the world. As a outsider with "material assets" in your possession you are constantly at risk of violence.

On my first trip to some remote areas of South America I asked my guide if he carried a gun. He said no. You are best served by a sharp wit and a good sense of presence. Words I have lived with ever since. ;)

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is not on the water that I get concerned about sometimes. It is the launches at 3am that I am concerned about. I launch way out in the boonies and I fell better carrying when I do. It is perfectly normal there to bring the boat in and have people milling about by the launch either fishing, camping, drinking both or something.
Also, to the flare gun comment. If you really think that a flare gun will stop a person with bad intentions near as effectively as a well placed hollow point, you are sadly mistaken. I have seen drunks and high people take damage that you would not believe and keep coming. A person hopped up on meth or something is the worse. Mind you, I do not think you will encounter one on the water.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:eek:

Fine words typed by someone who obviously has no experience with either device.
You are right. I never shot a gun , don't even own one. I just like to look at them. Don't know what a flare gun is either. Is that a gun that makes bubble flares, like on a brake line?
You sure those are Marlboro's you're smoking???

I only smoke crack.

Maybe you could become a consultant to the Pentagon and save the US military hundreds of millions of dollars in sidearm and ammo purchases!!

I'm gonna sell them bean bags next year. Got a contract from the Pentagon. By Bye ammo sales!

Do you really think that all the militaries in the world, cops, game wardens, bad guys, etc, would carry sidearms if a frigging flare gun was more effective??

The kids around here have "Roman Candle" wars every 4th of July and New Years. The bigger roman candles shoot further than the 12 gauge flares, and you get 10 shots. They shoot each other with them for fun!!!

And you let them???

I really hope nobody on here believes a flare gun will stop an attacker if their life is threatened. Grab a boathook, billy club, fillet knife, etc, rather than going for the flare gun.

People shoot themselves and others with flare guns several times a year with pretty minor results. There was 4 year-old last month who was shot with a flare gun. Didn't do much to him.

Sorry to hear about the kid. Glad he's okay.

http://www.ncbuy.com/news/2009-08-04/1018324.html

Seriously , have you read the posts by OP?
Tear me down all you want for my opinion, attack me if you want. Of course a flare gun is not as effective at at stopping someone in their tracks if that is your intent but it sure will garner a lot of attention.

Marlboro

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hmm I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago...ya downtown is not the place to hang out, thats for sure. I was too young to know anything about the waterways there at the time though. I would imagine lake michigan with a decent sized boat would be a blast, similar to out on the open ocean. I do once in a while wonder if my truck is okay while im gone, but thats it.

I?m not one to disparage our fine former city--at least not too much.:D

Chicago, like many large metropolitan areas has both safe, affluent communities and crime filled pockets where even the police are loath to venture.

Strangely enough, the two are often juxtaposed within a few short blocks of each other.

Chicago?s lake front and skyline--in one word, breathtaking, rivaling the best the U.S. has to offer. Despite having more cops per square inch?police main headquarters is situated right in the Loop?downtown is still a favorite stomping ground for the city?s vagrants, shopping-cart-people, pan handlers and other social undesirables.

Despite this, I feel fine strolling the city?s downtown avenues at night, taking in the sites, the cuisine, the culture. As a young man I remember late nights sitting in the park around Lake Michigan's Belmont harbor, listening to the clink of fenders and rigging as moored boats bobbed in the current.

Now, as an aspiring boater, it?s been many moons since I?ve visited the city?s various harbors and thus I?m not familiar with their level of security. I?d suspect, however, that in a city such as this, there would certainly be reasonable precautions taken.

I?m not sure how secure I?d feel docked in Chicago at night. But I doubt that my concerns would prevent me from giving it a shot.

45Auto

Commander

marlboro180 said:
I do not plan to bring a sidearm, I'll leave them at home . A flare gun is much more effective.

marlboro180 said:
Of course a flare gun is not as effective at at stopping someone in their tracks if that is your intent but it sure will garner a lot of attention.

OK, so is a flare gun MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE or NOT AS EFFECTIVE???? :D

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

James Bond (007) used a flare gun, once, to save the Free World...that's good enough for me!

snmpgh

Cadet

I was a Boy Scout for 7 years and an Eagle Scout, so I still hold to the motto "Be Prepared". When overnighting, even at the marina, I have my 9mm with me (we have had some middle of the night thefts on the rivers this year). When on the hook in an isolated spot, I never let anyone I don't know get close enough to get ahold of my boat let alone set foot on it.

Earlier this summer the wife and I and the dogs were about 20 mile up river from the dock working our way to a friends weekend cabin. We had stopped for lunch and to let the dog swim to shore and pee. Dogs were back on board and wife was sunning on the front deck when these 2 very scruffy young guys came out in a pontoon (more like 2 55gal drums, some pylwood and an outboard). I was in the process of getting the gun out of the glove box when they yelled from about 10ft away if they could raft up since they did not have an anchor. The one guy was in the process of reaching for the side of my boat when my German Shepherd came out of the cabin and put his paws on the gunwale and started barking. They backed off pretty quick. Not sure what their true intentions were, but since Eddie comes from a Police Dog kennel, I trust his instincts. I am a lot more careful now when I am on the more rural stretches of the Allegheny.

I think we all have become a lot more aware of (paranoid?) of our personal safety since 9/11.

Mike

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

RLB2252, The rock river right there in rockford is not very big at all, a small fishing boat would be best for that river, I can swim across there and not even get tired:), Wisconcin is awsome for boatin and camping in, I grew up camping in wis. just to get away from people. Why go to a high crime area and set yourself up for trouble?? Chicago is not where I would pick to sleep on a boat, especially at belmont harbor, too many homeless, drugies and just flat out mean people who will cut your throat for $5, They don't care, they'll cut your throat and then find out how much you have in your wallet just to be disappointed that you only had $5. How do I know all these things?? I was born in cook county hospital and grew up on the streets of chicago(MY PARENTS) and also lived in Rockford for 7 yrs. Since your so close to wis, What Loves park, Machesny park? You will enjoy wisc. Long lake(dundee), Kettle morain, West bend, All beautiful areas, What are you 10-15min from wisc That could be Ideal. Ill. has alot of places close by too, but their lakes have a 10hp is max on alot of the lakes closer to rockford. Have you been to Shabanah lake yet?? very nice and you can rent a boat with motor for like $40

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wavenbye,

You're right , WI is beautiful and full of places to go try it out. Good point to bring up. Lauderdale, Whitewater, Big Cedar, Green, etc.etc.etc 15,000 lakes!

Much more effective in getting the attention of others around you in case of trouble.And letting them know your 20. If they are paying attention... No, it ( a flare) does not have the kind of power to kill immediately.So, if you intent is to kill, then no, not as effective. Use a real gun.
Anyone who has ever shot a gun before should know that, but seeing as I'm a crack smoking bean bag throwing newbie that doesn't know nothin:p
Ever shot one through a 18" barrel? Pretty impressive. Punches right through a 1/2 osb sheet. Start dead copying machines on fire pretty well too.:D

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you guys serious? We have lots of guns, I never, never take them on the water, kids all around.

A gun will turn a situation bad very fast, they are more likely to escalate a problem not fix it. Take a gun out to a drink and see how the situation falls apart.

Shoot someone and find out how much fun it is, even if you are in the "right".

Oh yes, a very pistol I have is a 10 gauge and will most definitely kill or severely hurt someone.

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RLB2252, The rock river right there in rockford is not very big at all, a small fishing boat would be best for that river, I can swim across there and not even get tired:), Wisconcin is awsome for boatin and camping in, I grew up camping in wis. just to get away from people. Why go to a high crime area and set yourself up for trouble?? Chicago is not where I would pick to sleep on a boat, especially at belmont harbor, too many homeless, drugies and just flat out mean people who will cut your throat for $5, They don't care, they'll cut your throat and then find out how much you have in your wallet just to be disappointed that you only had $5. How do I know all these things?? I was born in cook county hospital and grew up on the streets of chicago(MY PARENTS) and also lived in Rockford for 7 yrs. Since your so close to wis, What Loves park, Machesny park? You will enjoy wisc. Long lake(dundee), Kettle morain, West bend, All beautiful areas, What are you 10-15min from wisc That could be Ideal. Ill. has alot of places close by too, but their lakes have a 10hp is max on alot of the lakes closer to rockford. Have you been to Shabanah lake yet?? very nice and you can rent a boat with motor for like $40

Waven, I thought you looked familiar. I was born at County Hospital too?now renamed and rebuilt as the John Stroger Hospital. You were probably that kid in the crib next to mine.:D

Yes, sir, I'm currently in the unincorporated area that borders Rockford, Love Park. Funny, our lives have paralleled on several levels.

As far as the waterways in the area, I'm only familiar with the Rock River and a rather small lake at Rock Cut State Park--which I believe is horse power limited.

Parts of Rockford, the westside in particular, are not exactly paradise. I used to go to the river front, solo, at night to do some Catfishing from shore Never had a problem.

The lake you mentioned, "Shabanah", never heard of it, got zilch on my google search. Is that the correct spelling? What state?

As regards Chicago and boating, I've only been on those large river and lake cruisers that take you out on Michigan for an hour.

Never been on a small private vessel there. Certainly have never slept over.

Chicago has such a scenic waterfront, it would probably be fun, despite the crazies.

45Auto

Commander

marlboro180 said:
Much more effective in getting the attention of others around you in case of trouble.And letting them know your 20.

Your opinion, your choice. ;)

If someone is on your boat in the middle of the night, threatening you or someone you love with deadly force (deadly force is defined as death or serious bodily injury), I really hope your flare gets someone's attention and they make it there in time to help you out.

Not sure how much more effective at getting people's attention it would be either. From what I've seen, emptying a firearm at someone will IMMEDIATELY get the attention of everyone in the vicinity! :cool:

Or maybe you can just use your 18" barreled flare gun to bang on the sides of the boat and wake everyone up.

soaringhiggy said:
A gun will turn a situation bad very fast, they are more likely to escalate a problem not fix it.

Your experience is obviously different than mine. I drew my service pistol twice over a period of 7 years and both times it fixed the problem immediately. If you don't intend to use it, you shouldn't have it in your hand.

soaringhiggy said:
Shoot someone and find out how much fun it is, even if you are in the "right".

DON'T shoot someone if you are in the "right", and find out how much fun it is for you or someone you care about to spend the rest of their life (if they aren't dead) as a paraplegic when the attacker stomps the **** out of them. :eek:

Ever heard the old saying "It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six"?

Luckily it's still a free country in the US, you can choose to take responsibility for yourself, or alternatively hope that someone who is capable of assisting you comes to your rescue in time if you ever need help.

towdog

Cadet

Most lakes where people overnight on the hook, there are others doing the same thing. Often in the same place. Find that area where everyone is anchored for the night and you are fine. Even if you were not near others, if anyone came up to your boat, you would hear them and your boat would rock in the waves. You'd hear them even easier if you slept up top instead of down inside.

I can understand where you are coming from though. When I am camping on land in really dark, secluded state parks and am walking around late at night, I get freaked out. Not for meeting strange animals, but meeting strange people. Sometimes I wonder if I'd have the same fears if I had never watched TV or movies in my life. Do these fears come from what we've seen in the movies or are they just inherent to the human mind? I mean how strange is it that I feel safer in an urban environment with crime all over the place? Why are dark forests so damn spooky?

After high school a bunch of buddies and I camped alone on a small island in the middle of the lake. Our site was close to the edge of the island just beyond some trees. At night all I could hear was the lapping of the waves against the shoreline. I kept imagining an empty row boat washing up to shore. Or how freaked out I'd be if I heard the rhythm of rowing. There was a lighted bouy off in the distance and as we sat there I kept thinking it was coming closer.

The human mind can go to crazy places when its dark. I mean how irrational is to think that any kind of incident out in the wilderness is likely. No one is out there. Bad guys are going to go after easy targets.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Waven, I thought you looked familiar. I was born at County Hospital too You were probably that kid in the crib next to mine.:D
Ya I was the one whistling at the nurses and looking down their blouses saying "Mamma?"
Funny, our lives have paralleled on several levels.

The lake you mentioned, "Shabanah", never heard of it, got zilch on my google search. Is that the correct spelling? What state?
I am sorry, I spelled it like I remembered how its pronounced!! It Shabbona lake near Dekalb Ill. only 50min from you. Beautiful place, you'll enjoy it. I will give you a couple of links for you to see. When I lived in Rockford we would go to Shabbona lake all the time just to go fishing and if you go a little above the speed limit it takes less than 50min.;)

http://www.shabbona-lake.com/page/lakeside-baitboat-rent
This next link look at the pictures, Awsome fishing!! (hint) They stock the lake every year;)
http://www.shabbona-lake.com/

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am actually considering keeping a small handgun in my car... know any laws against that? I ran into trouble last night... we live in a private community that never has any robberies or anything bad, i think we had 3 in 40 years. Well last night i was at the lodge and there was a guy there who wreaked of alcohol, and i was sitting in my car with my girlfriend, and he leaned against my car and started talking to me, and after 5 minuits of talking he showed me that he was wearing a bulletproof vest and had a handgun. i put my foot on the gas, the car in gear, , turned the key,started it and flew away ( didnt know my trooper had such good 0-60). he fell and i was out of sight. i called "security" as it is a private community and cops dont patrol. they went there and flew back and called the cops. dont know what happened after that. I am still pretty shooken up:( and i am NOT lieing, but there is no way to prove it as they wont put it on the news because it is a private community.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

The day I have to start packing a heater just to go to the lake will be the day I sell my boat.