Pergo Flooring (UPDATE)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Pergo Flooring (UPDATE)

I have the commercial Pergo through my house. Not the Pergo at Home Depot. There is a difference. This came from a specialty floor shop and the core material is different.<br /><br />I bought mine online and it was shipped right to my door. I did about 1100 square feet.<br /><br />Mr. and Mrs. LF has seen my floor as well as KKC.<br /><br />Here's where I got mine.<br /><br /> http://www.floorshop.com <br /><br />great to work with. I had a case damaged during shipment. I called them and they UPS'd me another package that day and it arrived the next day (they actually sent 2 just to make sure all was right).<br /><br />Their prices for the Best stuff is the same price for the cheaper stuff at Home Depot.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by revertmastec:<br /> You DO NOT want real wood floors if you have animals. They will scratch the floors and you will see it. Pergo or other laminate flooring is the way to go. They are tuff look good and will wear great.
I am in full agreement, i had wood floors installed 18 months ago, i have two dogs and two nephews and they've made quite a mess of it around their water bowls and the back door area.<br />If i had to do it all over again, i would definitely use pergo,keep my dogs and get rid of the nephews.

boatneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We had the equivalent of Pergo flooring (Wilsonart) in our last house and it was great for the dogs since it didn't show their claw marks, BUT the guy who installed didn't do it right and allow it to float (ie expand and contract with the seasons) and the floor buckled. Wilsonart stepped up to the faulty intallation and offered us a new floor, but my wife opted for regular hardwood since she thought trying to keep the floor clean-looking was too hard. The engineered flooring is great from a wear and tear standpoint but must be properly installed or else you will have problems like we did.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a Shaw floor installed not long ago in the kitchen, foyer, and powder room. I wish I did it myself because it was SUPER easy to install but I just had too much stuff going on at the time to do it so we hired someone. We've had it about 6 months now and I love it. It cleans very easily and so far shows no wear. I looked at Pergo - Shaw was priced about the same and it's what the installer stocks. <br /><br />Just like F_in said though - use real wood trim and transitions. The installer used a real wood transition in one place and the Shaw brand in another - I didn't like the way the Shaw transition looked so I had him replace it with a real wood one.<br /><br />Enjoy your new floor!

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

We just installed about 100 sq ft of Mohawk DuroLock Plus laminate in our entry way.<br />The color went better with our house than what was offered by others. It also has a really nice texture to it, it's not smooth like glass, feels like wood to the bare feet.<br />It also has glue on the interlocking edges that you activate with a little water. Makes a tighter bond and any water tracked in will not penetrate as easily.<br /><br />Was easy to install, they give you a DVD that shows all the tricks.<br /><br />We put down the more expensive padded underlayment. Was happy with that choice.<br /><br />We pulled up the 1/4 round and the shoe moulding where we did it. Put it down right over the old tile. The sheetrock in our house stopped about 1/2 from the floor so we just layed the product down until it was even with the sheetrock. Then put down the original shoe moulding and threw away the 1/4 round.<br /><br />I agree on the transistion pieces, use real wood for that.<br /><br />It looks great!!

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This stuff even comes in a tile-like look!

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by f_inscreenname:<br />
Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> I did a small entry way with similar stuff. Easy to work with, but when you price it make sure you factor in the the underlayment plus the trim pieces wherever the pergo transitions to another surface. Base prices are ok, but they really gouge you on the transition pieces. And you can't substitute regular wood trim cause the pergo needs to be able to 'float' under those trim/ transition pieces.
Did they tell you that??? B.S. Another salesman with his head up his a$$. I hate it when they tell customs things when they don't know. You can use any molding and transition you want as long as it is the proper size and it is not nailed to or through the floor. Just install like there moldings and there is no issues. For that matter when Pergo first came to the U.S. they didn't even have a molding manufacture and they used Oak trim on all there jobs.
Yep, that's what the salesman told me, and I think I recall something about it in the instructions as well. <br /><br />I see no problems with the sides, I did use wood quarterround and nailed it into the wall. But what about floor transitions to different surfaces? <br /><br />How would you install, say, a wood transition piece from the pergo to tile without nailing it into the floor (or when you say 'floor' do you mean the pergo only, not the floor in general?). The impresion the salesguy gave me is that even if you avoided nailing through the pergo, left the appropriate spacing, and nailed a wood transition piece into the floor, you risked having the transition piece putting enough pressure on the pergo so that it might restrict its ability to float. I looked at some of the stock wood transition pieces, and it seemed like you could make them work with pergo, but might have to do some routing in order to avoid putting alot of pressure on the pergo part.<br /><br />By the way, I agree that real wood transition pieces look MUCH better than the pergo ones.

f_inscreenname

Commander

When I said floor I meant the Pergo. Yes you can nail a transition into the sub floor (what ever is under the Pergo). Also a transition piece wouldn't to much pressure. I forget the actual number but you can park a car on it (say a car dealership showroom) and it will expand and contract normally. It may say something in the directions about not using different types of molding. The main reason it was put in there was because people use to think 1/4 round was 1/4 round and would not use the proper size (5/8th thickness). Then they would make a inspection claim because the smaller stuff would show gaps. Cost Pergo a bunch of money just to tell the customer to use the proper sizes. Like I said. Just don't nail it to the Pergo flooring and as long as it is the right (minimum) size you will be all set.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks f_in,<br /><br />Thats really worth noting should I ever use a laminate again. I did a small entryway (three transitions) and the trim strips were probably half again the price of the floor! <br /><br />Have you had cases where it was hard to find precut wood transition pieces that fit well? e.g., going from laminate to lower or higher tile or carpet, etc.

f_inscreenname

Commander

They make so many different wood moldings (reducers) there is always something. Some of the laminate lines don't have certain molding so you always have to adapt something. Cant leave a customers house with raw edge sticking out. In a big box store go to the hardwood section and ask to see there wood reducers samples (A chain set with different wood reducers on them). If they cant help you look for a store that sells hardwood flooring. They will have it or will be able to get it for you. If you are looking for pre-finished it may limit your choices. Pergo makes a Hard Surface Reducer that matches the floor (they also have carpet reduce, stair nose, “T” molding and a end molding for fireplaces and sliding glass doors). That last time I saw a price it was around $35.00. Not Cheap. Oak piece for about $9.00 You may have to finish it yourself but looks much better.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Barlow, you worked for Shaw Builders? I've had the pleasure of working with them on a few projects this year. Interesting crew, one of them is checking out my Baja this Spring.<br /><br />Oh, Pergo.. I like it but there is some cheaper lookalike stuff out there that I wouldn't go near at all. Take a sample home and abuse it in any way you can think of before installing it in your house. IMO you can't do alot worse than carpet. I really dislike carpet!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Pergo,<br /><br />Easy in my opinion to install, looks great, and my golden retriever has yet to scratch it and as a bonus the slippery nature of the floor keeps it from sprinting around like a crazy animal. <br /><br />I was warned against puting dog dish on it as standing water can warp the material.<br /><br />I love it.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Have installed the Pergo on a dozen different jobs and holds up very, very well!!!<br /><br />I remember when it 1st came out and didn't know how durable it really was!!!! Well the very 1st house had a couple of unbehaved children and they unknowingly put it to the test!!! Thought for sure we would get a call back!!! Ended up going to same house a year later to do other work and that Pergo still looked new!!! I was surprised!!!<br /><br />Instead of installing all them ugly exspensive mouldings you would get a more professional job by removing baseboard moulding, install your flooring and put back the base board!!! Since for most of you ,you do your own floor, save on labor what's the difference if you had to buy an extra piece of baseboard at about .80 a foot= $8.00 for ten feet!!! ;) :cool:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> Barlow, you worked for Shaw Builders? I've had the pleasure of working with them on a few projects this year. Interesting crew, one of them is checking out my Baja this Spring.<br /><br />
yup I did .. there's only a few guys that are still around from when I was working for Greg but, interesting is a good word to describe the masses.<br /> :)

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good stuff. I believe the Armstrong is better. The substrate for this stuff is high density fiberboard (HDF) which is an engineered wood product, it is made from waste wood. This waste wood is in the form of chips that are steamed in a digester and then refined into very small fibers that are mixed with melamine urea formaldehyde (MUF) and then pressed under high heat and pressure. The finished product emulates real wood in density and hardness but not shear strength. The wood finish is actually paper with a photographic image, this paper is then covered with melamine (Formica) basically laminate flooring is the same thing as kitchen counter tops but with a thicker substrate. One tip when buying, look for HDF that has a dyed green color…this is the industries standard color code for higher water resistance.

eeboater

Commander

Hey f_inscreenname:<br /><br />My wife and I are going to be commiting to the purchase today!! There is a great deal on Pergo at HD (25% off), so we're taking part of our tax money and investing it in Pergo.<br /><br />Do you mind if I could snag your email so I can pick your brain/shoot you questions this week before the install next weekend?<br /><br />I'd really appreciate it.<br /><br />If you don't want to post it directly, please feel free to email it to me at skane at goamb dot com.<br /><br /><br />tx.<br />Sean