Pergo Flooring (UPDATE)

eeboater

Commander
Question for ya'll. My dining room area is carpeted. I don't like it. The main reason I don't like it is because the back door, which is used all the time instead of the front door, is right near the dining room. My wife and I are thinking about getting Pergo laminate flooring with our money from our tax return. The reason for going with Pergo is because of their reputation of being a TOUGH flooring.<br /><br />My questions are: <br /><br />
  • <br />
  • Has anyone in here every put Pergo into their house?<br />
  • If you have Pergo, do you also have a dog? How is it holding up with their claws on the floor?<br />
  • How much did it cost per sq. ft. installed?<br />
<br /><br /><br />Thanks!!!!<br /><br />Sean

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pergo Flooring (UPDATE)

Sean,<br /><br />About 5 years ago wife and I put Pergo down in the guest bedroom - ripped up the carpet, cleaned the sub-flooring and laid the Pergo in less than a day. It was easy to install and looks great.<br /><br />The dog and 3 kats are not an issue - except that they slide around a bit more than they'd like :D Quite by accident, as we were cleaning up, I dropped a crow bar from about 4 feet right onto the new flooring - thought my wife was going to have a cow. Well, we got on our hands and knees to look for the damage done - couldn't find it - because there was none. That stuff is tough.<br /><br />Wish I could remember the cost - I just remember it was reasonable and comparable to carpet.<br /><br />Good luck, tcube

spratt

Lieutenant

Never had any myself, but know folks who do, and they preach the virtues of Pergo, right along with the salesmen / women who sell the stuff. It really is very durable, carefree, tough sstuff!!! If you want to go better than linoleum then get it!!!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

when it was first introduced here in the states and became available we installed it in our model/showroom/home office (company I worked for then)<br /><br />Obviously only a few dogs have been in the place, but its survived MUCH traffic and looks great still today.. I was just back there talking with my old boss/owner of the company a few weeks ago and its survived very well!<br /><br />at the time I can't recall the sqft price.. plus thats perty much a moot point since purchasing was done at a wholesale level. It wasn't cheap tho. installation costs were labor costs only on that job no 'profits' were assumed in installation w/in house labor.<br /><br />11yrs old or so.. Shaw Building & Design, Inc. <br /><br />I think there is a picture of the interior of the place in the "About Us" section of the site.<br /><br />Installation costs will very with how much prep work/cutting/trimming and such is involved.. best thing to do is call an area flooring contractor to get the beans.<br /><br /> :)

aspeck

Staff member

Don't have it personally, but have helped to install it. It was easy, and looks good, has worn well in the homes I have helped with. If I hadn't gotten a deal on hardwood flooring, I would have gone with it in my dining room.

LadyFish

Admiral

The Mr. and I installed it in our LR, DR and hall. I am very pleased with it. We used Armstrong instead of Pergo because it was supposed to be better.<br /><br />A couple of years ago we installed 700 sq. ft. for some freinds of ours. They now make it where the insulation or humidity barrier is already attached to the panels.<br /><br />I went with a blonde pine and am so glad I did. Our house is rather small and it makes it appear larger. Our friends chose a dark walnut and it shows every speck of dust and scratch. Bad move with two boys under 5.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> <br />I went with a blonde pine and am so glad I did.
Mrs. LF...don't you really believe we all knew that would be your choice? Or was that your date :D ;) :cool: :rolleyes: :) seeing as how pines are tall also...

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />I went with a blonde pine and am so glad I did.
The blonde pine is a bit lighter, right? I will have to keep that in mind when we go shopping. Originally I was going to have it installed professionally, but you guys are beginning to sway me a bit. I may just install it myself and save the cost of installation. I am not afraid of home improvements projects in my house. I've already redone my basement, kitchen, master bathroom and living room. I just got a new circular saw for christmas as well... So I think I might be tooled right to do this! The only part that i'm a bit concerned about is the whole Part at the edge issue? Maybe some of you who installed it yourselves can shed some light on this. How do you install the last piece that is right up against the wall?<br /><br />I'm thinking the lighter colored flooring will be better since we have a St. Bernard who likes to run around the back yard a bit... :D <br /><br />Sean

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

My only experience with Pergo is not so positive. In my dentist's office it is often buckled, from faulty install or moisture problem, don't know. I also have a good friend who lives in a mountain cabin with his family, and the Pergo he installed looks like formica. If you aren't trying to sell your house, use Pergo, if you are, the real thing will advance your property values much better. Chief :)

JohnRuff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pergo is usually laid as a floating floor. Your choice of underlayment is critical. If you don't what everyone to sound like a woodpecker when you walk on it -- make sure you use cork for your underlayment.<br /><br />You will never regret it.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

You want to leave a gap at the edges all the way around. I think it was 1/4 inch. This allows the flooring to expand and contract. The last piece along the edge can be a little tricky but usually you can just snap it in.<br /><br />If you are the least bit able to use hand tools I say go for it. I'm not exactly Mr. Handyman but ours went down easy and looks pretty good. <br /><br />If I remember right the flooring, pad, new mouldings, etc. ended up being about $4.50/SF

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

You DO NOT want real wood floors if you have animals. They will scratch the floors and you will see it. Pergo or other laminate flooring is the way to go. They are tuff look good and will wear great.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

ee go into your local menards and back in the kitchen department they should have some floating floor like pergo. With the ammount of trffic that flows through the department that should give you a good idea on how well it holds up to shopping carts and tons of people. <br /><br /><br />Also when installing use the rule of 3/8" all around the room for expansion and contraction. The way that I have installed it is going from 1 edge at 3/8" away from the wall with baseboard and 1/2" quarter round on the bottom of the base board to give you a smooth transition between the wall and floor. That also gives you a good amount of room around the edges to get those fingures in there.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did a small entry way with similar stuff. Easy to work with, but when you price it make sure you factor in the the underlayment plus the trim pieces wherever the pergo transitions to another surface. Base prices are ok, but they really gouge you on the transition pieces. And you can't substitute regular wood trim cause the pergo needs to be able to 'float' under those trim/ transition pieces. <br /><br />And here's a valuable tip should you go the laminate route; don't snap a trim piece into it's channel until you're absoulutely sure it won't need to come out. The fiberboard type strip that fits in the channel pulls off extremely easily with any upwards pressure. So if you want to 'test' the trim to see how it will look before done, count on buying another piece cause you can't pull it out of the channel without ruining it. I honestly believe they designed it that way to sell alot more trim pieces....

eeboater

Commander

OK... related to transition pieces. How would you handle the following situation. Below is a picture of the stairway going down to the basement. Behind the dog (ignore him) is the doorway to the back yard. To the left of the dog is the dining room leading to the kitchen. How do I transition from the Pergo to the steps without making a lip that people will trip over and go tumbling down the stairs?<br /><br />
1384228-stair.jpg
<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Sean

aspeck

Staff member

A piece of Quarter-round wood molding would work nicely

f_inscreenname

Commander

Hi;<br /> Boy iboats is great. Where else can you find people that build rockets to install floors (that's me). I have bee a certified Pergo installer since 1998. Installed them before that but that is when I got certified. I have also installed every other laminate flooring made over the years. I am also certified flooring inspector. Let me see if I can answer a couple questions. <br /> First- “I'm thinking the lighter colored flooring will be better since we have a St. Bernard who likes to run around the back yard a bit.” <br />Pergo will not warranty against scratches from a dog of that size, nor will any laminate flooring made. I am not saying that they will get scratched up but it depends. What pattern you choose (some hid blemishes better), color, area rugs, dogs nails, etc. Lam floors hold up well under “normal usage” and that is all they will warranty.<br />Price; Most of the big box stores HD/Lowes have the best price. If I do side work I tell my customers to buy it from them and I will install it. No reason for me to even try any more to beat there prices. Also all Lam’s are not equal. If pergo is $50 a box and you see another lam at Wal-mart for $20 a box there is a reason. Not saying Pergo doesn't have a equal and you may save a couple bucks not using pergo and using a Shaw or Wilson Art product but they all will be in the same general price range. If there is more then say a $6 difference in there normal prices (not sales) the quality will reflect it.<br /> A couple install tips. First take the class offered for free at Lowes or HD. Lots of tips there. Look around your room and then take any questions with you. I always try to end on a blank (flat wall). That way you are not trying to get a board to snap in a tuff cut up area. Starting in the cut up area first allows you movement without be bound up by the floor you already installed. Just make sure you take good measurements so when you come out of the cut up area you are still square. As for the 1/4” gap. The rules state that is how it should be. In the real world it goes like this. It is a must to bring it to your house and leave it in the room being done for 72hs’s. Acclamation! Then think that this stuff is mostly wood and acts like it. If your house is dry (winter time, heat on) then make sure you follow the gapping from the wall as close as possible. When humid out we tend to cut them in a little tighter so when you do turn the heat on it will not show gaps around the 1/4 round when the floor pulls back. In the size of a Dining room I don't think you will have much movement at all. Under cut your door jams so the Lam slides under them. Dont even try to cut around them. It just looks bad. Try to use real wood moldings (the 1/4 round must be 5/8” to cover the gap around the walls) it makes the floor look much better. Not a Pergo plug but I have found it to be the easiest to install out of them all. Last if your subfloors are uneven or has humps this may not be for you. When done it is like a giant wood area rug. It will span voids making the floor fell soft when walked on and peaks will cause gaps as the seams bend over them. The subfloor doesn't have to be perfect but the worse it is the worse the Lam floor will look.<br /> I hope this helps. I will be floating around.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> OK... related to transition pieces. How would you handle the following situation. Below is a picture of the stairway going down to the basement. Behind the dog (ignore him) is the doorway to the back yard. To the left of the dog is the dining room leading to the kitchen. How do I transition from the Pergo to the steps without making a lip that people will trip over and go tumbling down the stairs?<br /><br />
1384228-stair.jpg
<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Sean
Stair nose. will cover to the edge and the carpet coms up to it.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> I did a small entry way with similar stuff. Easy to work with, but when you price it make sure you factor in the the underlayment plus the trim pieces wherever the pergo transitions to another surface. Base prices are ok, but they really gouge you on the transition pieces. And you can't substitute regular wood trim cause the pergo needs to be able to 'float' under those trim/ transition pieces.
Did they tell you that??? B.S. Another salesman with his head up his a$$. I hate it when they tell customs things when they don't know. You can use any molding and transition you want as long as it is the proper size and it is not nailed to or through the floor. Just install like there moldings and there is no issues. For that matter when Pergo first came to the U.S. they didn't even have a molding manufacture and they used Oak trim on all there jobs.