Performance tuner opion?

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Performance tuner opion?

thats the worst one on the market now.....the SC and a few others are way more worth it.

I am glad I didn't buy it, it was my boss thinking it would make his lifted truck a hot rod.

I already have the F250 with the V10 6" lift and otherwise stock and it already passes everything but the gas station. I tow the boat and it doesn't even know it's there. I also tow a 34' 5th wheel toy box and it still feels good. I am sure you know of Cajon pass on the way to Vegas from here and I can pull the 5th wheel fully loaded with a Toyota truck and quad inside at 70 MPH. But also at 4-5 MPG. I took the trailer to Lake Mohave once, I will never do that again it would have been cheaper to stay at the Ritz.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Actually the extensive testing is also tied to emmisions. Something the tuning chips don't take into account. A lot of vehicles run lean at idle and low speed when hot, reducing emissions, and also reducing initial throttle response. However I digress, I've used tuners, tuned on dynos, on fuel injected bikes for several years, and yes, they do make a difference...but only if properly tuned for that vehicle. I am dubious of a tuner that's "one size fits all' tuned.

I'd say the gear ratio may be a bigger help for towing, but then you loose some of that highway mileage. A good high end exhaust (include high flow cats, not just cat back) will indeed give you some seat of the pants improvement while not being overly loud. I believe magnaflow makes some nice cans that have a pleasant deep sound without the retard loudness of some trucks that have forgone a muffler all together. Adding a good cold air induction system will top it off, but the difference won't be as noticeable. All in all, horsepower don't come cheap...or easy. For certain that 4.6 is a dog though, I had the same engine in my last truck, and was glad to be rid of it. Not because it ever failed or broke, it was just woefully underpowered for a truck with no mileage gains at all.

Ian

fishrdan

Admiral

I believe magnaflow makes some nice cans that have a pleasant deep sound without the retard loudness of some trucks that have forgone a muffler all together.

I had a Magnaflow on my old truck and interior noise was acceptable. Put one on the Durango and the noise can get annoying at times. I put the biggest one on that was available hoping it would be semi-quiet, but it wasn't. It's not Flowmaster raspy loud that I find nasty souding and over the top annoying,,, to me :rolleyes::D

NYBo

Admiral

Your rig should not be anywhere near you towing capacity. The most cost-effective thing to do is make sure the engine is running at peak level by making sure all routine maintenance is up to date. You may gain a ew ponies with some of the bolt on mods being suggested , but at a high price, and the difference will be minimum.

However, if your engine is tired (do a compression test for an indication of overall condition), all bets are off.

This_lil_fishy

I had a Magnaflow on my old truck and interior noise was acceptable. Put one on the Durango and the noise can get annoying at times. I put the biggest one on that was available hoping it would be semi-quiet, but it wasn't. It's not Flowmaster raspy loud that I find nasty souding and over the top annoying,,, to me :rolleyes::D

Yeah, not sure if a larger can would be quieter, it's all physics and airflow and crap that I don't understand. Those flowmasters could really give you a pounding headache after an hour or two though. I test drove a truck with the flowmaster dual side exit in front of the rear tires. Sounded pretty neat for about 15 minutes, then I was wishing they were a bit quieter. Vibrant also makes some quality parts with decent sound, but I don't know if they make anything for trucks, mostly just ricers....

As fer the original post, agreed, if the engine is tired it's all moot, and you may be better off just trading her in for something a bit more tow worthy. I love me a good Ford, but that 4.6 just isn't truck worthy, don't even get me started on that 4.2...

Ian

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On 5.0 Mustangs the factory exhaust had one muffler smaller than the other. I finally found out it was to cancel out a booming in the car that same size mufflers would make.

IVAZ

The performance chips do help SOME vehicles. For example, the 2004 5.4 F150 only gives you 80% of its available torque at takeoff. They calibrated the computer this way to avoid the sudden jerk you would get at takeoff (think Nissan Titan). The chip will let you use 100% of its available torque. It also "firms up" the gear shifts. Its a good upgrade on that particular truck.
On other vehicles it just raises the shift points on the transmission. It?s worthless in a lot of cases because if you have a tow/haul mode in your vehicle it will do the same thing.

Last edited:

mlg1998

Recruit

tuner chips in non turbo/supercharged vehicles are next to worthless. There simply isn't much power left that that manufacturer didn't already tune for, and if you do gain anything, it is possibly at the expense of your engine's life.

(think about it, manufacturers do EXTENSIVE engine testing. if there was 10% more horsepower plus a mileage boost free for the taking, don't you think that would have been done OEM? There is a reason it wasn't)

now if you are talking forced induction, there are all kinds of tuning that can give you a HUGE increase in power.

Everything but your last paragraph is completely wrong.

A custom tune, where the tuner is sitting in the passenger seat with a laptop is the way to go. The ECM/TCM can even be sent to a tuner for tuning, or he/she can send you a tuned ECM/TCM specifically tuned to fit the needs of the customer.

I can only speak for GM vehicles, my 07 Sierra for example, a custom tune made a night and day. Actually, there is a lot of power there that the manufacturer has robbed us on from the factory due to torque management and other nannies.

Below is a link to a reputable company that tunes Fords.
http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/FORD.htm

Below are 2 excellent tuners for GM cars and trucks.
www.gowheatley.com - I have used him for 2 trucks now
www.blackbearperformance.com