Performance Lower Unit for AQ Drives

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are there any performance lower units for the older 270,280,290 style drives? I know volvo made the racing 270E lower unit. I also saw a picture of a 290 someplace with an aftermarket high speed lower. But I have no idea who made it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
non available to the general public if they existed.

however the stock 290DP is good at well over 60mph. what are you trying to do?

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Basically go fast haha. I heard over 50 single props tend to produce a higher top speed over DP’s. Below that though the DP is better in most regards

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, the added drag of the duo props starts to come into play above 50hp and a SP drive will give you a slightly higher top end.

however if you throw enough power at them, they will still push you along quite well.

however some hulls are better than others if you want to go fast. Not to mention, you need more motor than your current 5.0

kenny nunez

Captain
I once added a “nose cone” kit to the front of a 280 model that made a small difference. If I had more HP It probably would have helped more. AS Scott said you need more HP. I was told by Volvo rep once that the 270 -250 models had less drag than the 280s.

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah I’d eventually like to upgrade to a 383 one day. But the original 5.0L still runs so well so it’s hard to justify right now