Perfect Prop

agranda

Cadet
I have done quite a bit of reading to find the right (best) prop for my 2006 Tahoe Q6 w/ 4.3L Mercruiser. Currently, I am running a 23" (factory I think??). My goal is to have a faster hole-shot, quicker plane, and better top speed all while helping out fuel consumption. I would like to stay with aluminum for budget reasons. From what I have read, I am thinking a 21" 4 Blade??? Any thoughts from the crowd? :confused:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Perfect Prop

I didn't move this but it probably belongs in the prop section.

My goal is to have a faster hole-shot, quicker plane, and better top speed all while helping out fuel consumption. I would like to stay with aluminum for budget reasons.
When I invent that prop I'll give you the credit for the idea, but I'm gonna keep the $, K? ;)

You need to start all propeller discussions with your current WOT results. We need RPM, GPS speed, prop pitch, number of blades, material and hopefully your gear ratio. Typical load and trimmed for the fastest possible top speed. But I have to say your list of goals is a little out of reach. Generally speaking you either get hole shot or top speed or a compromise on each. Annnnnd, differences in fuel use will probably be less than 5% no matter what you do. So if you use $30 of fuel a trip you'll get your money back in 133 trips ;) 266 if Stainless. Of course this assumes you actually save the 5% and that is not close to guaranteed.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would try trim tabs first. I got all of the results you mentioned by adding them.

agranda

Cadet

I kinda figured my results were a bit pie in the sky. I have been looking into the Smart Tabs and will more than likely be buying them in a few weeks. It almost seems like you have to have them! If I am looking for better hole shot am I better with a 3 blade or 4 blade?

QC

Supreme Mariner

4 blade, but you'll have to go down in pitch. You really need to spend some time perusing the prop section ^^^^^^ I often say that props are 50% Science, 50% Voodoo and 50% luck . . . ;)

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agranda,

I've been down this same path... 2007 Q6 190 carburetor engine. Check out this thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=355271
I wound up putting on Smarttabs and a 21P 4 blade Solas Aluminum prop. I think I've got the best I'm going to get - good hole shot, 46 mph (gps) at 4600 rpm. But, to be sure go to the prop section and read the sticky and supply all of the info. Someone will help shortly. One thing - is your 4.3 the 190 hp carburetor or 220 hp fuel injected?