Penta 4.3 GL in saltwater?

fxSol

Cadet
Use 15W40 oil. Shell Rotella T is a favorite of many. No need for synthetic as most people put on less than 50 hours a summer.

Riser is also called exhaust elbow. You want the exhaust to leave the engine area pretty high up with respect to the bottom of the boat. So an exhaust elbow or riser to get it up high.

You can get exhaust parts from Sierra. No need for Volvo Penta OEM unless they are very new with catalytic converter.

The exhaust manifold and riser are water cooled. So a water jacket. If things rust to the point where there is a leak between water jacket and exhaust then water can get in the engine and damage it. You avoid that by pulling the exhaust off every few years and inspecting. More often in salt than fresh.

If you have a heat exchanger then it's a FWC engine. So some answers may change. But it does not sound like it.

One of the reasons to pull the outdrive is to just get it off. You make sure it will come off nice and easy the next time. Not stuck on and a bear to get off.
Hmmm the Rotella oils is "designed" for diesel engines. I think mine is petrol because of the sparkplugs I have =) Does it matter if "diesel" oil or petrol?
This right?
1700422354715.png

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Donald I cant express how grateful I am for every reply. And thank you for spreading knowledge and your time to help those in need =) Any idea by chance of a good starter motor? Can you use a GM starter motor? I guess the brackets look different though...
Will go and check for the oil right away. If my memory is not weak I recon its somewhere around 4.2 liters that goes into the motor?
And as a side note - I was looking for the drain plug for the oil...could not find it and then found on the internet that you acutally have to pump in and out? =)
You MUST have a marine starter. MUST MUST MUST. The are several companies that sell marine parts at a discount online. Pull the starter and look locally for a place that rebuilds them. They are there. Just need to look. They will do a better job than many of the starters you will find that were made or rebuild overseas.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmmm the Rotella oils is "designed" for diesel engines. I think mine is petrol because of the sparkplugs I have =) Does it matter if "diesel" oil or petrol?
This right?
View attachment 391996
You want a oil that is gas rated. Many 15W40 oils are both gas and diesel rated. Just make sure it's at least gas rated. There are a few that are only diesel rated.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
ARCO Marine makes good quality marine starters & alternators; not the cheapest but good. I have both on my boat….
Barr Marine makes good quality aftermarket exhaust at a reasonable price; also have those on my 4.3 V6….
As far as motor oil you can use straight 30 or 40, 15/40, 20/50 or even Merc’s 25/40. The main issue is that most I/Os do not have engine oil coolers so you have to use a heavier viscosity oil than what’s typical in automotive use…

Dillusion808

Seaman Apprentice
I use Delo400 in my 4.3L it says diesel but no issues.

I run only in salt water.

Before you buy a starter pull the plugs and try to turn it by hand. I hope the starter didn't break because the engine seized.

I've had this happen a while back when I tried to squeeze one more season out of my manifolds. They rusted and started to leak water into the cylinder. I check them every year now since I'm paranoid.

Make sure to pull the props and grease the shaft. Hope those aren't sized either.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If it helps…most of the gm 4.3’s will take around 5l of oil or close to either side. Including filter and getting to the required level. Had a few 4.3’s in boats one after the other..then went to a 5.0 mpi just after. Was taken back by the 5.0 taking less oil than the 4.3. By a fair amount too.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think there is a difference from the 95 & older models and the 96 & up. 95 & older had a steel pan & 96 and up has an alloy pan that seems bigger. My old ‘88 with the steel pan takes 4 US qts to fill.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I think there is a difference from the 95 & older models and the 96 & up. 95 & older had a steel pan & 96 and up has an alloy pan that seems bigger. My old ‘88 with the steel pan takes 4 US qts to fill.
Fair comment Lou. I can only really offer comment on the 89’ VP AQ205 and the ‘91 mercruiser 4.3 4 barrel I had…that I was aware for sure took around the 5l or just close to that, if a little under. Always required a 5l tub of oil…or frustratingly (if keeping oem on the mercruiser), the 4l tub then another 1l tub in addition ! Hated that !! Most service packs online that offer a bundle of consumables for a service on a 4.3, will come with 5l of oil. But like you say…no doubt there are variations on the 4.3 theme along the way. All the best.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been running IO's in salt water for years, both V6 & V8 (mostly Volvo Penta) I have found out over time that flushing the drive and engine after every trip is important, replacing the manifolds and risers every 2-4 years will save you from what could possible a major mechanical failure. Using a product like salt away my help but plain water works just as well and if your boat will stay moored in the water pull it regularly for cleaning. Also a closed cooling system will help with manifold life but not riser life. And don't forget to clean the and rinse the outer suffices as well