Penn Fathom Master model 805 downrigger

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
I inherited two penn downriggers from my brother who recently passed away. Fathom Master model 805 pre 2006 models.Warranty paperwork I have is dated August 2005. They were stored in his garage up in the rafters so am assuming he had the same issues I am having.
So when I power up both units I get the 3 beeps that tells me the unit is powered up, but when I try to move the spool up I get no power and no beeps. When i move the spool down it goes down 2 feet and then beeps 6 short beeps twice. I opened one unit and cleaned all of the contacts and continuity tested both switches( it has a up/down momentary switch and a push button depth waypoint set switch). The depth waypoint switch appears to be non functional. Before I get all giggity goo goo on this I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these old PC Driver boards and if I am just wasting time and money on a switch.
Not sure this is even the place to be posting this question but I can't seem to find any info on the net anywhere and know that replacing the PC Driver board is a lost cause. There just aren't any I can find, even on ebay.

sam am I

Commander
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these old PC Driver boards

No, not specifically those boards........I do recall, at some point in the past seeing there was replacement boards out there....probably long gone though by now, Penn stop supporting those long ago.

The depth waypoint switch appears to be non functional

If the meter shows no continuity when pressed......

I am just wasting time and money on a switch.
Couldn't you just short across a bad switch with say a wire, tweezers or something to test your theory?

This would in fact (back up your finding you had with the meter) prove the switch was bad, before you bought any switches? Wouldn't it?

So when I power up both units I get the 3 beeps that tells me the unit is powered up, but when I try to move the spool up I get no power and no beeps. When i move the spool down it goes down 2 feet and then beeps 6 short beeps twice.

Seems a bit odd "both" units have failed in the exact same way but, perhaps they do....Hmmmm, weird

Last edited:

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
Will try "shorting" the switch out tonite after work. I guess I should have been clearer on the two units same issue. One unit has the down issue and the other has no movement either way. I figured I would go after one unit and if it starts working will tackle the other one. Both have the power up 3 beep code but only one actually has any movement when switch is toggled. The up/down switch on the one I have open now has continuity in both directions when switch is toggled. Just the depth waypoint push button is not working.

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
So I bypassed the depth waypoint button tonite by running a wire between both connectors. Now have up function on direction switch but same issue. Runs two feet, stops and I get 6 short beeps twice. Same issue with toggling the down switch. I am thinking it has to be the board itself which is a NLA part. (no longer available) The driver board is covered in rubberized plastic so no way to even get at parts of it or see if there is a burnt out wire channel. I may have to settle for parting these out and using the money to buy a new pair of downriggers.
Just wish that someone out there had a link to somebody working on these or troubleshooting. I have heard that Johns Sporting goods in Everett may still work on these. Might be able to pick someones brain about beep codes. I am sure it is telling me what is wrong, I just dont know the code breakdown.
and dingbat,I have been on mystic parts site. I cant see paying $29 bucks for a simple push button switch that I can get at any parts store for $4. But thanks for verifying I was looking for parts on the right site!

sam am I

Commander
Did you happen to ask him want the 6 beep diagnostic meant? Just curious......

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
hi sam am i, I actually called him and he mostly works on the manual 600 series DR so was no help there but he

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
Darn small keypads! anyways, i got a number for another guy that has parts for these models. The 6 beep code is still a mystery but he basically told me the PCB board was shot. But....... that i could replace the up/down switch with a new toggle switch and wire the motor and power supply directly to the switch. No programmable stops but would be a basic hold switch in up or down to achieve desired depth of downrigger ball. So will be doing that this weekend on one of them and report back how I fare.
If it works then will be retrofitting the other one as well and use them like my other electric DR's. I have a 30 yr old pair of Big Jon Senior electric DR's that I have used for the past 18 years. they are getting sluggish and I can't get the motors open to change brushes and lube properly. Too much salt water fishing make things stick together.

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
Wired one of the downriggers to a new toggle switch. Works just like advertised so will be doing the same to the other one and installing on my boat this next weekend. So all in all, these older downriggers are not fixable to work like before but still will be an improvement over the ones I am currently using now. Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful tips and links!