penn 209 levelwind/lead core question

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone! I just got a penn 209 levelwind reel and was wondering how much leadcore line would fit on it (100 or 200 yards). By looking at it, it seems that it would only fit 100 of 15 or 18 lb line. A couple years ago when I was getting into trolling someone on this board told me that it would fit 200 yards of 15 lb line, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm just looking for others' feedback. Thanks!!

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: penn 209 levelwind/lead core question

Howdy,<br /><br />leadcore line? That must be different than mono I take it? I would guess if it is what it sounds like, than I would bet your reel capacity would be reduced. I dunno, but try this:<br /><br /> http://www.pennreels.com/Reels/Reels.htm <br /><br />What is leadcore line anyway?

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Glass--leadcore line allows you to troll deep at different depths without using a downrigger. The line is color coded every 10 yards so that you know how deep you are fishing. Also if the fishfinder marks the fish at a certain depth, you can get there quickly with the leadcore line. I have a Shakespeare tidewater reel with 100 yards of leadcore and I use it to troll deep for trout and kokanee salmon. I got the penn reel so that I could have 2 trolling rods with leadcore, but the more that I look at it , it seems that 100 yards will only fit on it. Some of the lakes in NM are pretty deep, so that is why I was wondering if I could fit 200 yards of line on it. Thanks for the response :)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

MountainBoy<br />A Penn 309 is bigger than a 209 but the same basic reel other than size. If you want a little better quality reel with bearings then look at the Penn 320GT2 or the 310.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey gang--my wife surprised me with a Cabelas order of 100 yards of lead core line. I immediately put it on the Penn reel and it fit perfectly. :D 200 yards would have been too much for the reel, although with 200 yards you could use 100 and save the other 100 for another time, reel, etc. Anyway, time to go trolling soon :)

Mountainboy<br />I use lead core all the time. I put about 100 yds. of monofilment as backing then 50 to 100 yds. of leadcore. Its still gets you down deep but with more line capicate.