Passenger car tires on trailer?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Passenger car tires on trailer?

IMO, passenger car tires are fine for smaller relatively lightly loaded trailers. Such as single axle under 3000 lb loaded trailer weight. I have used car tires in this application. I will not however use a car tire on a heavier loaded trailer and especially not on a tandem or more axle trailer. For tandem axle trailers, you need the sidewall strength of the trailer tires and the smaller contact patch (less traction). If you don't believe it, come over to my house when I've got my skid steer on the tandem axle trailer and watch me take a tight turn on pavement. A single axle trailer can make a turn without any tire scrubbing. The only side load the single axle trailer tire usually sees is the lateral g-loads from turning at speed, wind side loads, and side load from sway. A properly loaded trailer isn't as prone to sway so throw that one out, and the other 2 the tire sees as much of as when it is installed on a car.

Just my opinion

Jason 641

Seaman

When I first got my 16' tandem axle trailer it had car tires on it and I was always having blowouts. I had a set of 15" rims with almost new LT tires on them sitting around so I put those on the trailer and have not had another blowout since, and the LT tires do not bulge or sway nearly as much. so I agree with the comments to not use car tires. but I think LT and the ST are very similar.

On my boat trailer I have all ST tires, I had my first blowout last weekend. I just got my new ST tires yesterday, and they do have a much thicker sidewall than a car tire.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I have multiple trailers and will always use trailer tires for my trailer. I got brand new rims and tires for my boat trailer for $75 shipped to my door(205/75D14) so cost is not a contributing factor in my decision.

if you dont mind me asking, where did you find such a good deal on those? thats the same size im shopping for.

speedoflite2

Seaman

Not necessarily an engineer that figured out that there is a difference. In many cases it's a marketing guy who figured out that people would pay more for a certain item if they named or targeted it towards a particular market segment. You are possibly paying more for a tire that is less safe than the cheaper alternative. I'm an engineer for a major corporation, and you can't imagine the stuff I've seen pulled by our Business Development (marketing) guys. The product might be the exact same or even inferior to the same product in other markets, but the "perceived value" lets them sell it for more. Might be worth doing some research and looking at the specs on car, truck, and trailer tires before you blindly purchase them based on what the manufacturer wants you to buy ........

You realize that there is no requirement or law that you use ST (Special Trailer) tires on a trailer? This is a designation created by the tire industry. Guess what they're trying to sell? My gut feeling is that with the nanny government and litigious society we've had for the last 20 or 30 years, if there was a documentable safety difference you would be required by law to use "ST" tires on a trailer.

I've never had to put tires on a trailer. All my trailers have always come with ST tires and I've never had to touch them. Longest I've owned one though is 7 years. But if I do need to, I'll definitely be doing a little research before paying extra for some "Special Trailer" designation.

This is a pretty good basic article on trailer tires:

http://www.automedia.com/Tow_Far_-_Trailer_Tires/ccr20040501tt/1

Its the ply rating of the tire. Also most car tires only can handle 35-40psi cold while a st tire can be 50-80 psi So a st is the only way to go for me on a trailer.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

that seems almost too good to be true. Out here the cheapest tires are 75 bucks alone. I dont need the wheels because i just got chrome ones, but hey thats a great deal. are the tires pretty decent?

skargo

Banned

that seems almost too good to be true. Out here the cheapest tires are 75 bucks alone. I dont need the wheels because i just got chrome ones, but hey thats a great deal. are the tires pretty decent?
They are brand new, and so far so good. Offbrand(name escapes me right now) but the price was right!