Parts for a Yamaha Motorcycle

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
I got a buddy who has a 1979 Yamaha "750 special" who has a problem with the starter. The Mechanic says the sprag has to be replaced.<br />Here's the problem. Yamaha no longer makes or stocks the part. His mechanic is having no luck locating it through his network and the internet.<br /><br />My questions...<br />1) Does anyone have a source for old yamaha parts where I might be able to send him?<br />2) The mechanic says that the sprag was not interchangable with other models. Does anyone know if the whole starter assemble could be changed out with another model or year? <br /><br />The bike runs like a champ, but he's getting a bit tired of kick starting the beast. :) <br /><br />Nav :cool:

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Parts for a Yamaha Motorcycle

Thanks OB,<br />I'll pass it on!!!<br />Nav :cool:

clanton

Rear Admiral

Try www.flattrack.com or or search flattrack. There are a lot of the 650/750s out there. The best I remember, the sprag had a set of rollers, you may be able to buy the loose rollers at a bearing house.

clanton

Rear Admiral

It also depends on the model, Yamaha made 1 model 750 that was junk and was only in production for about 2 years. The one that was in production for 10/12 years started out as a 650, then later became a 750 as the AMA rules changed. One of you Yamaha fans, feel free to correct me on this, my motorcycle days were a long time ago.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

The V twin XV 750 Special, the first "Jap-Harley" was a '81.<br />The 650 often used in flattrack was a paralell twin. No 750. There was big bore kits to 750 cc and up to 850 or more. <br />There was a 750 twin DOHC in '73. Oil pump capacity problems as I recall it.<br />The first "Special" was the XS 750 triple. <br /><br />The XV 750 starter or starter clutch was a problem.<br /><br />Don't know of any web pages for parts. :(

FLATHEAD

Commander

Jap Harley??? You are way off!!!!

Capt Ken

Commander

Yep, Nav is correct. None of the starter parts are listed in inventory anymore for that model. Usually they will give the price and such before telling you that you are SOL but not in this case. They give you the picture and the part numbers but when you run them they say nada.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the input guys. My buddy has the triple, not the twin. I've passed on the info to him and he was very appreciative. He is now scouring the salvage yards in hope of finding one. Its really a shame, the bike simply purrs and is in great shape, except for this one little thing...go figure :) <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Nav :cool:

magster65

Commander

If you come up empty handed let me know and I'll check around here (Vancouver island). We have a few salvage yards nearby that may have it. Email if you need me. I'm a bike nut too :)