Part # reference material or source for the same

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Is there a logical way to look up part numbers and cross-reference them? I see part numbers shown on auctions but since I can?t tell what the part #s are for; it is all cryptic.
Do I need to find an old OMC parts book or get a hold of an old microfiche machine and the associated microfiche slides?
Is there a guru out there with a motherlode of reference material willing to share, trade, sell or feed as required?
I am willing to entertain any and all responces.:)

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Part # reference material or source for the same

Maybe if you explain what you're trying to accomplish.
Are you a repair professional or are you just trying to fix one engine.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe if you explain what you're trying to accomplish.
Are you a repair professional or are you just trying to fix one engine.

Oh, one engine is not enough! I see numerous areas of interest. I own a 1950 Johnson 5, a 1958 Johnson 7? & a 1971 Evinrude 4 Yachtwin. I do however love the old 25-30-35-40 range, plus the 18-20-25 range of 57 - 76. The loopers interest me, as do all the V4s. Did I miss anything?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

shop2.evinrude.com

goes back to 1968, both johnson and evinrude

boats.net you can use to search the part numbers and see what they go to.
that kind of works. it'll give you a short list, but comes in handy sometimes. its usually not 100% correct.

Also, whenever your buying a part on ebay, get the part number, and search for it on boats.net
MANY MANY times, the new part, is cheaper than the used.

Example:

ebay - $20

Or, NEW:

0303794 DONNECTOR, Rod, standard $18.30 USD

this guy is selling his part for $0.81 less than new. I would buy new.

Now that seller is offering free shipping, where shop2.evinrude.com doesn't.
but if you needed some new gaskets or O-rings too, ordering it all from shop2 would be cheaper.

you cannot search on shop2.evinrude.com which is its only disadvantage.
also, it'll show part # you may want, but not an option for ordering it.
examples are carb kits, paint, and water pump kits.

If you run into this problem, get the # from shop2, and search for it on boats.net, and order it from them.

ordering parts from boats.net is decent, but takes weeks to get. better than going to your local dealer, and getting charged double for your part.

Also, I find this EXTREMELY handy. from everything I need, to what my neighbor needs. Its also a good way to tell how much your local dealer is ripping you off. (I have the 2007 catalog)

ebay is cluttered with 1968+ parts manuals. I hate it, and its annoying.
and with shop2, they are completely useless.
for your older engines, buy the $6 parts book off ebay. or ask here. somebody may have one.

Also, another complaint about these parts books, they sold new (prior to 1973) for $0.25 each. Sellers have this get rich quick idea of selling a 10 page parts books for $20~
You could buy a 10 year set for $25

Lets say you buy a parts book for your 1950 Johnson 5,
Once you find the part you need in your parts book. Search for that part number on boats.net
See if its available, and the price. Then take that part number to ebay, and compare.

I really wish every lazy ebay parts dealer listed a part number. It would make life so easy. many many of these parts are shared through many different engines.
BUT that is where your Johnson Outboard Motor Parts Reference Guide Comes in handy.

Also, you can order aftermarket parts from Seirra
That is good for gaskets/seals and what not, but nothing like evinrude parts.

Lets say you order a water pump kit for your 1970 20hp
Seirra kit only has the impeller, o-rings, and wear-plate.

Evinrude parts will be the updated pump design, new pump housing, new impeller (that is for the new style housing) screws, sealant, o-rings, and usually instructions.

Done waste your money on a Seirra carb kit.
they don't include a float. (Evinrude does) the packing need rings are a joke. I can go on for days about seirra kits.

ALWAYS buy your kits from Evinrude

I strongly recommend buying the Evinrude Johnson parts and accessories catalog.
its great for getting spray paint # and options
new props
Conversion kits. (remote steering, lighting, tiller)
and other kits (water pump, carb, powerhead, gasket, gearcase, etc)

Welcome to the world of outboard parts.

Also, good luck finding this much information relating to parts, for a different type of outboard.

So remember, always buy Johnson/Evinrude/BRP/OMC

F_R

Supreme Mariner

boats.net you can use to search the part numbers and see what they go to

How interesting. By golly, you are right. That is good information. I will use it often. Thanks for sharing.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you all for responding. I appreciate the well thought out answers and the excellent links :)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

And you can always buy parts lists, owner's manuals and shop manuals for any Johnson, Evinrude or Elto back to the year of the flood from outboardbooks.com. For the really old motors, they're pretty inexpensive.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And you can always buy parts lists, owner's manuals and shop manuals for any Johnson, Evinrude or Elto back to the year of the flood from outboardbooks.com. For the really old motors, they're pretty inexpensive.

I checked it out. Dont like the $20+ price tag (each)
But for new its not bad.