Parking a boat on an inclined driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Parking a boat on an inclined driveway

More info on the wheel clamps please. Thanks

Here you go.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat420010&hasJS=true

i012240sq01.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the clamps are a very good idea, and also will add security to theft. the boat sitting there can be stolen in 30 seconds.

swing away trailer toungue?

Newer boats/trailers have them. The tongue is cut clean through about mid-length and almost like a door hinge, allows you to swing the front of the tongue (where the ball hitch is) and fold it back towards the boat. If you've got a 16' boat on a trailer that measures 20' from front of tongue to trailer lights, that hinged tongue can mean the difference when trying to squeeze your boat into an 18' garage.

I hope that my next boat combo has that feature.

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Question (for my own pondering):

Will the boat have to be stored level? If it's stored bow down, will the added pressure on the hull do any structural damamge? Of course: dependent on trailer style and angle right?

jonsquatch

Cadet

The wheel clamp looks interesting. Another option might be one of those wheel stops, or wheel guides that you drive on to help people line up in their garages. I have seen aluminum ones before. Here is an example of a plastic one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94079

I don't know if it would work for you to back into, maybe open the garage door and back in part way then put 2 in front of the tires and pull forward to the big stop? They might work great for parking on hill in the street as nobody could remove it without physically moving the boat.

Your driveway does not look too steep but my jack wouldn't raise high enough, but you would have to do some serious blocking to get the bow elevated. If you don't want to move that much wood every time maybe you could take one big block (maybe a chunk of railroad tie) that you could move easily and cut the bottom to match the angle of the driveway so the top would sit level to elevate the jack a bit. You could mount one of those trailer jack wheel stops (like Part # 50080555 here at iboats) on it for piece of mind.

I would seriously consider paying to store it though, if it were my house and space were that tight.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

those from harbor freight will not work, not enough meat to them on that incline, i have one in my garage, as i have to back in inorder to get out of the car. also so i don't hit the freezer.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Swing-away tongue and a flag/cone for the length problem.
What are you gonna do for rain drain? DO NOT count on your cover to keep your boat dry, water always finds a way in. I'd look for storage close to home; problems solved.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will the boat have to be stored level? If it's stored bow down, will the added pressure on the hull do any structural damamge? Of course: dependent on trailer style and angle right?

This a very good point that was brought up. And because of this, I have decided to store the boat on the street until I get the curb cutting permits from the City, so I can build my extra driveway.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By the way, here are the pics of my house. The parts circled are where the curb will be cut and you will see where my boat will be parked on the dead grass and dirt, but that will be all concrete when I'm done.

house008.jpg

house007.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I would be more concerned with draining out any water that gets in while stored.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would be more concerned with draining out any water that gets in while stored.

I intend to buy a cover, but am thinking of putting some kind of tarp over the center console to protect the GPS, speedo all wiring etc.. from the weather. Also, it rarley rains here in San Diego. When it rains, its like the sky is falling and everyone makes a big deal about it. We have more fires than rain down here.

Sinko

Seaman

I park on an incline. I've done 2 things to handle this.
1st is I cut a small length of 6"X6" wood diagnal to make traingles or chocks. I then screwed a 20" flat piece of plywood to one of the flat sides of the triangle (chock). I drive the trailer tires onto the plywood until it rests at the chock. Nobody can move the chock then since it is screwed to the plywood which your tire is resting on.

I also have a long driveway which allows me to pull the boat up the driveway until the vehicle is partly in the garage. I then back in onto the plank/chock so that it can drain. I move it far enough back so that I can back both cars out of the garage (just needing to back the car around the boat, do this with the smaller vehicle). This allows draining and nobody will take the boat away.
I live in a nice area as well but better safe then sorry.

brian95006

Recruit
I would think that if you have a tandem trailer, you could run a chain thru the front and rear rims and basically tie them together. This way if the chocks failed the boat would stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.