Parking a boat on an inclined driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am about to purchase a brand new 2008 Trophy 1903 center console. I would like to park it in my driveway, but my driveway is inclined. Not sure on the percentage of the incline. Anyone have an inclined driveway with thier boat parked on it??? Heres a pic of my driveway. What do you guys think??

shinegto006.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Parking a boat on an inclined driveway

that ain't cool. you will have to get some good wheel chocks. also is a bad spot for security of the boat. is the space long enough for the rig.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good wheel chocks and you should be good to go as long as the tongue of your trailer doesn't stick out onto the sidewalk. Many municpalities frown on this and give nasty tickets. :(

http://www.chocks.com/

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that ain't cool. you will have to get some good wheel chocks. also is a bad spot for security of the boat. is the space long enough for the rig.

The space is 22' 7" and the boat completely rigged with trailer is 23' 2" . So I'm on the limit mabe a little over, but not bad where it goes into the sidewalk. I can put a little cone or red flag so people won't hit it. Not worried about security, boat will be covered and this is a really nice neighborhood. Lot's of people with boats around here.

Good wheel chocks and you should be good to go as long as the tongue of your trailer doesn't stick out onto the sidewalk. Many municpalities frown on this and give nasty tickets. :(

http://www.chocks.com/

I think the toung folds in, not sure, i have to call. Thanks for the link!! :)

zach103

Commander

is it a heavy traveled street? i live in a dead end and the tounge of my trailer goes across the whole side walk but no authorities come down my street. so they dont see it

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Another thing to think about is if you are backing it in, you will have a hard time getting the bow high enough to let water drain. How does the side of your house look? Gravel is 20 - 30 bucks a ton.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

is it a heavy traveled street? i live in a dead end and the tounge of my trailer goes across the whole side walk but no authorities come down my street. so they dont see it

No, not very heavy traffic, but the people with thier little carts(code enforcement) come by sometimes and leave notes on peoples' cars to be moved after a 72 hour period. Not allways, but sometimes. I am currently working on a project, addind a driveway to my house. But I have to get the permits throught the city first, to cut the sidewalk.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another thing to think about is if you are backing it in, you will have a hard time getting the bow high enough to let water drain. How does the side of your house look? Gravel is 20 - 30 bucks a ton.

Actually, I would leave the boat in the street after a good wash down. Then a fater about 4 or 5 days, i would park it in the driveway.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will take pics of the front of my house later and post them all here. Then tell me what you guys think.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

If you have room in your garage this may work, too. I have a friend who pulls in forward into the garage, unhooks, then backs out the open side.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have room in your garage this may work, too. I have a friend who pulls in forward into the garage, unhooks, then backs out the open side.

That would be impossible to do. On one side of my garage, the prior owners added an enclosed laundry room( which makes the garage on one side even smaller). I will take pics of all then show you guys.

Every Saturday I drive past a really nice boat parked on a street at the top of a hill. The wheels are chocked, but every time I drive by I expect to see that a bunch of kids or drunks (or both) have removed the chocks and let it roll down the hill.

Bad things happen in nice neighborhoods too. I guess I'd always be worried about coming outside in the morning to see that someone pulled the chocks. Do what you can to minimize the temptation.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Anyway to get it in the back yard? That way you could park it bow up.
Even with a cover it will get rain water in it.
By the way,Sweet looking GTO..:D

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You also need to consider opening your garage door. Did you take that into account when you got your 22.7 measurement?

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

My neighbour has to park his boat on a steeper driveway. he doesen't have the lengh issue but for the boat to tip the bow up he stacks a bunch of 4*4s under the trailer then chokes the wheels. If people were complaining about you taking up the sidewalk you could park it on an angle.

Fuzzey

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Put a wheel clamp on it and then you will not have the worry of the "chock removers" get that bow high enough to drain as well with 1 solid and sturdy piece that is big enough for it not to "topple off"
Just my thoughts.

franco802

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anyway to get it in the back yard? That way you could park it bow up.
Even with a cover it will get rain water in it.
By the way,Sweet looking GTO..:D

No way on the yard. For starters can't get anything back there, second, we have a big swimming pool back there.

You also need to consider opening your garage door. Did you take that into account when you got your 22.7 measurement?

No problem on the garage door, rolls straight up.

Put a wheel clamp on it and then you will not have the worry of the "chock removers" get that bow high enough to drain as well with 1 solid and sturdy piece that is big enough for it not to "topple off"
Just my thoughts.

More info on the wheel clamps please. Thanks

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

A GTO, a fullsize Blazer and a Trophy--- SWEET.

Yeah make sure you can leave it bow up to drain.

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

No way on the yard. For starters can't get anything back there, second, we have a big swimming pool back there.

There ya go, tear down a fence and you have solved the problem.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I might want to install an anchor loop into the concrete driveway up near the garage door. Immediately behind where I was gonna park the boat.
Then I could chock the wheels and as a safety and theft issue I would padlock a chain to the trailer frame and the anchor point in the driveway.

With what you said about the code enforcers running around there, A flag or cones on the sidewalk will bring attention to the violation and surely bring a warning or ticket. Especially since your acknowledging to all that you know your violating the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.