Parents of teenage daughters: curfew is curfew, right?

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Parents of teenage daughters: curfew is curfew, right?

Be predictable and steadfast in your policies. Be very unpredictable in your "checking up on" habits. Even if her and "junior" are home early and sitting on the front porch "talking", make sure she never knows when you might pop out to say "hi".

Dunaruna

Admiral

You guys are tough. Rules yeah, curfew yeah but they gotta grow up & taste life - albeit a little at a time and under daddys' (I have a teenage girl) supervision. IMO its the beaus' that need watching - one track minds.<br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> IMO its the beaus' that need watching - one track minds.
Wouldn't be speakin from experience now, would ya? ;)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Wouldn't be speakin from experience now, would ya? ;) [/QB]
Yep, they come sniffin' around like rabid dogs, can hardly string two decernable words together (let alone "hello sir, may I see your daughter").<br /><br />Fear is the key - keep um guessing, keep um scared ;) <br /><br />Aldo

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br />
Fear is the key - keep um guessing, keep um scared ;) <br />Aldo
And keep the BOY FRIEND POOFER out in plain sight!<br /> ;)

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

The kid was late.....I always just moved back the curphew time. Be home at 10:00 or if and when you go out again, it will be 9:30. Can be home at 9:30, then we'll try 9:00. He got it. Be in the house BEFORE curfew was up or there might not be a next time....

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

both teenage daughter and son have 5min grace per.<br />other than that, yur late and will pay the<br />consequences. my wife is CRAZY about being on<br />time... I'm late for everything (except when she's<br />going too)

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

JT,<br /><br />I have a 17-year old senior and a 12-year old in 7th. The older did the same thing at that age. We have some obnoxiously bright flood lights around the outside of the house that I switched on when I noticed that they were not exiting the car after 2 minutes. Yep, they were necking (OMG - am I dating myself with that term?).<br /><br />The car door almost flew open and my daughter practically ran into the house without saying goodbye to the date. We never did discuss that night but when she comes home from a date now, they always get out of the car and come straight into the house! Isn't it amazing how a little "subtlety" can have such an impact? ;) <br /><br />At any rate, the younger one must have talked with the older because she told me she'll never sit in the driveway after a date. :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by The Professor:<br /> At any rate, the younger one must have talked with the older because she told me she'll never sit in the driveway after a date. :D
Yeah, that's what they all say.......when they are only 12. :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Ok, jtexas, you've heard the jury, now what's the verdict???

gatorboaterUF

Seaman

a few years ago i picked up a girl for our first date i was 19 she was 17 and her dad ment me at the door with a 9mm in hand and he actually seemed really serious she tryed to tell me he was really protective but a very nice guy........I had her home ontime and that was our last date

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

I have teenage sons. They know the rules. Whatever time means that time no exceptions. Unless they have a legit excuse which I can verify. I told them if they ever sit in the driveway of a young ladies house and blow the horn for her to come out I will personally wring their necks. Their mom and grandma and grandpas back me up on that one. Chivalry is a dieing art. Let us bring it back.

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One daughter. Curfew time is the time. No outside on porch , no sitting in the car. She's a great kid , but there is zero tolerance at this house also.

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey everyone,<br /><br /> I don't get down to DC much, but the subject line caught my eye. I agree with most of what has been said before, but I want to add one thought. Boys need curfews at least as much as girls. The reason for this is that girls can only get pregnant ONCE every nine months....but I shudder to think how many times a teenage boy can 'get pregnant' in just one night given the opportunity...not to mention over the course of those same nine months. And, at least in Texas, if your minor child has a child YOU as the adult are responsible for child support.<br /><br />Just my $0.02 worth,<br />Joe

NYMINUTE

Captain

Boys need curfews... Thats the ticket. I have 3 sons, and if there was a poster child for "Curfew Weekly" It was my middle one. He'd try everything from setting his watch back, to arriving on time and sneaking back out. One girlfriends dad called me to say he was there and wasn't permitted after 11:00. I suggested he handle it as he seen fit to scare his butt. When he came home, I listened to the "story", and then doubled the dose. He is 28 now and still a royal pain.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Ok, jtexas, you've heard the jury, now what's the verdict???
Hey, how many people can honestly say they learned parenting from an internet boat owners' group? ;) Just kidding, I'm really glad to hear what others are doing. I implied that this was her first date - but actually it's her first boyfriend where they've gone out alone. They've actually been dating about 3 weeks.<br /><br />I'm not budging on "curfew is curfew." We had that discussion a couple weeks ago just so there wouldn't be any misunderstandings. And, we're flexible with the time in case there's a late event. I also suggested that they could finish their "conversations" at the kitchen table (thanks for the tip, aspeck).<br /><br />Meanwhile we caught her lying about where she was Sunday night - left church youth group meeting early, and with the B/F instead of pre-arranged transportation, despite having been restricted from riding with him. As a result she's on indefinate restriction from dating while we work with her on the importance of being honest with us. Got to nip this in the bud now.<br /><br />She's a good kid - I'm not worried that she'll do anything dangerous or illegal - yet. She's just really testing her limits.<br /><br />We're setting precedents now for the 12-year-old sister, who seems to be paying attention to the mistakes that big sister is making. Hope so.<br /><br />thanks for the stories - keep 'em coming.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Well now the 'rest of the story' comes out. What we have, here, are compound violations. Get out the ball and chain or was that the cat 'o nine tails? :D