Parents not allowed to listen in on teen phone calls

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Parents not allowed to listen in on teen phone calls

The court system is horrifying when it comes to raising children. Society on one aspect of parenting screeches at parents for not raising their offspring’s to show consideration for the rules, and laws of civilization. <br /><br />Then when a parent makes a decision to do what he/she think is best for the children, he/she is in deep fault with what is right or wrong. It’s damn if you do and damn if you don’t. It's sad to say, but some parents can’t be successful at either end of the upbringing of the children in today's society!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> If a criminal confesses to a crime over the phone to X, and Y is listening in on the conversation, then Y cannot testify as to what they heard because they invaded their right to privacy. Because criminal and X assumed they were in a private conversation.<br /><br />This kind of ruling has been around forever, I am suprised the first court allowed it in.<br /><br />Ken
Ken, I see some significance in this case, in that the Supreme Court is ruling that children have a right to privacy.<br /><br />My kids know that privacy on the phone or computer is a privilege, not a right, and that privileges can be revoked at any time without notice.<br /><br />BTW as a matter of policy, we don't eavesdrop without good reason.

Twidget

Commander

A mother swats her 4 year old on her butt for being out of control (as 4 year old will try) in a supermarket and has CPS charge her with child abuse and takes the child away.
A friend's sister actually had them try this on her. She went to court and they were going to take her youngest away from her. She told them that they might as well take the other 3 also, because she spanked them all. They dropped the investigation. :D

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by jtexas: "My kids know that privacy on the phone or computer is a privilege, not a right, and that privileges can be revoked at any time without notice.<br /><br />BTW as a matter of policy, we don't eavesdrop without good reason."<br /><br />I am in full agreement with your statement. one's privilegees are too often confused with one's rights.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

My understanding was that the ruling was based on "A resonable expectation of privacy". Not sure about the rest of ya'll but there were certain things I never discussed with my girlfriends over the phone. We would talk about it face to face but never over the phone. That was my expectation of resonable privacy.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

man, I go away for awhile and u guys go crazy? LOL<br /><br />more media slant here. it's not illeagal to listen<br />to your teenager's calls, it's just not admissable<br />as evidence in a court of law. just like if I<br />bugged your phone and listened in...