paragon pv41R transmission no reverse chrysler m440

kraus

Recruit
hi am looking for info on possible fix for paragon pv41r on a Chrysler m440 motor no reverse fwd is strong and fine 1970 century with only 359 hours. am told that there might be a adjust for reverse band but not sure of that thanks for anything known on this trans.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

is this a new to you boat, or something that you have had for a while?

what is the maintenance history on the trans?

how is the fluid? any over-heats?

what limited information I know about the paragon trans - the reverse section is water cooled. if it overheats, you loose reverse, which usually means a tear-down and rebuild vs adjustment.

kraus

Recruit
hello scott thanks for responding have run i/os in past first inboard . have had boat for 2 seasons put in water 2nd season ran it 2-3 wks reverse went. has been serviced at storage for 12 yrs.the boat was run only 2 days a season by previous owner then back in storage . no overheating. oil ok, no trouble with fwd. runs strong.contacted a shop in mass. quote was 2200.00 $ to rebuild so thought i might do research before pulling it.retired millwright thought about doing it. but no books and not a lot of info out there on pv41r.thought i might pull top cover for a visual inspection. thanks