Paper maps required?

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm planning to go boating in Florida.
I was wondering if coast guards check for paper maps onboard.

I have my Garmin GPS, plus 2 phones with Navionics. So, 3 independant navigation systems.
Would that be accepted in our modern days?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It would be smart. If you have any issues electrically, the paper maps may save your life.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm planning to go boating in Florida.
I was wondering if coast guards check for paper maps onboard.

I have my Garmin GPS, plus 2 phones with Navionics. So, 3 independant navigation systems.
Would that be accepted in our modern days?
Paper maps are not a recreational requirement.

They removed the requirement for commercial operation in 2020

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
In Florida, local knowledge is required. Charts and GPS maps are accurate the day the chart was plotted. As tides go in and out, the ICW channels change.

There are 3 types of boaters in Florida:
Those that have run aground
Those that will run aground
Those that lie about running aground

Depending on where in Florida you are heading, the topography may change faster or slower.

So, Atlantic side or Gulf side?

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
It would be smart. If you have any issues electrically, the paper maps may save your life.
Yes if I find a book on EBay, at a reasonnable price, but I have 2 phones working on their own electric supply. So chances are low that they fail at the same time.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
In Florida, local knowledge is required. Charts and GPS maps are accurate the day the chart was plotted. As tides go in and out, the ICW channels change.

There are 3 types of boaters in Florida:
Those that have run aground
Those that will run aground
Those that lie about running aground

Depending on where in Florida you are heading, the topography may change faster or slower.

So, Atlantic side or Gulf side?
My plan is to start at Fort Pierce, doing the ICW down to Hollywood, some outing offshore if weather is good, then another trip across Lake Okeechobee to Naples, then trailer the boat to the Keys to spend a week there. (3 months total vacation).
Okeechobee, some people reported to hit a rock in the middle, and it was not indicated on Navionics...
Water level may not be very high during winter, 4-5'??

I heard the Keys are a bit changing fast with storms. And a lots of boats go aground :-(
I will try to have a chat with locals at marinas, and gas stations for tips on maps vs reality...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the links.
At least, if I don't find a used book, I won't be illegal with my electronic devices.
Most inland paper charts are outdated before they where released. Coastal maps are obsoleted with each passing storm.

Buying old charts books is futile at best

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your lucky, they just opened the locks or you were not going to make it across Okeechobee without an airboat or swamp buggy