Painting Yamaha 9.9

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 1996 Yamaha 9.9. It has been through a lot and has many little scratches and paint is peeling in parts. Anybody have any expeirences with painting motors with a good outcome? What Yamaha color would I buy for this motor? Where can I get new decals? Thanks very much.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Painting Yamaha 9.9

dealer, dealer, dealer.<br /><br />i know it sucks, but they have EVERYthing you need.<br /><br />i just painted 2 evinrudes. a 6hp and a 14hp<br /><br />i bought aluminum etching primer from westmarine for 9 bucks and then bought the oprigonall color paint from the dealler for 11 dollars.<br /><br />ill tell ya, it looks excellent.<br /><br />i scraped and sanded off *** much old flakey paint as i could. and after that i scrubbed the whole area to be painted with acetone to remove any greases or oils left over by your grubby lil fingers.<br /><br />spray the primer, let it dry, preferably with heat, let it dry in the sun, or under a heat lamp, its almost like baking on the fininsh to the aluminum.<br /><br />after that, i sprayed about 12 coats of the OMC spray paint. i removed the powerhead and covered any holes or plugs or wires that i didnt want painted and now it looks new<br /><br />you can get decals on ebay opr at the dealer, they cost more at the dealer, but they are 100 percent origonal!<br /><br />good luck and repost!