Painting with Rustoleum...Re-Coat time, do I really have to wait?

Racingman24

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm painting my trailer right now as I wait for the 5200 to dry on the seams of the boat.

On the can it says to Wait Until Dry before re-coating, usually 24 Hours @ 70 Degrees and 50% Humidity.

Now it's been above 70 and less than 50% Humidity, so it should be dry quicker than that.

But even so, do I really have to wait 24 hours? What happens if I re-coat before 24 hours? Has anyone re-coated sooner, and if so, are there any dire consequences?

Thanks!

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Painting with Rustoleum...Re-Coat time, do I really have to wait?

The problem with re-coating too soon is that the solvent in the previous coat
has to evaporate through the new coat. This leads to a soft coat under the
surface. Best to let it dry longer than necessary. GH

Jakebob

Seaman

The drier the better. I usually at least let it "flash" before a 2nd coat. I assume this is spray and not brush? I'd wait a bit longer for brush painting.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wait the day. Rustoleum has always been a slow hardening paint in my experience. Rushing the recoat will make it worse.

Terry

redfury

Commander

You can paint it sooner. Here's the rub....it will take longer for the paint to cure, which means you'll scrape it, scratch it, and peel it off easier and will have to wait longer to actually use the trailer without worry that the paint will get damaged.

Do your waiting now, instead of later. You'll want to coat within the 24/48 hr window though so each layer of paint grabs hold of the other and fuses properly.