Painting steel trailer

Brento311

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Painting steel trailer

I recently repainted a trailer for my 14' jon boat. The trailer was given to me, ant it was a true rustbucket! This is what I did:<br /><br />1. I sanded down the whole trailer by hand, and <br /> with a sanding attachment on a drill<br />2. I sprayed on some stuff called Chemprime that <br /> I got at my local hardware store. It <br /> chemically converted all the deep rust into a <br /> hard shell type <br /> substance<br />3. Primed the whole trailer with some flat gray <br /> spray can primer. I put on 2 coats of this.<br />4. Next I painted the whole trailer by hand with <br /> a brush, with gloss white enamel paint that I <br /> bought at Ace Hardware(I guess they have Ace <br /> other places than Mississippi!) I put on 3 <br /> thick coats of this paint, and it looked <br /> fabulous! It has held up great ever since, and <br /> it was also a fun job for a 17 year old like me!<br /><br />Brent

sundancer270

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Painting steel trailer

This might sound Funny, but it works. Rub the whole trailer down before painting with Vinegar for hard to get spots like leaf springs use a spray bottle. Let dry and Paint. This also works great on concrete . Like steps and ext.