Painting steel trailer

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to begin painting my trailer this spring. It is a steel trailer now painted grey in color with the majority of the rust on axles and springs. Any recomendation on what type of paint to use and how to prep? Do I use a paint primer combo or primer then paint? :confused: <br /><br />I am also redoing the bearings as I popped off the dust cover and water was in them. I am not 100% sure if my surge brakes are working. Is there any way you can test these things with the trailer jacked up? While I am tearing it apart, I would like to ensure that the brakes are in good working order. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

D

DJ

Re: Painting steel trailer

Hammerhead,<br /><br />I've always used Rust Oleum. Always had good luck with it.<br /><br />Make sure any rusty spots are primed first.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Hammerhead,--- If it was me I would take the trailer and get it sandblasted. A good sandblasting will get all the rust out of the way and expose any potential rust through problems. Most places that do this also offer the option of primeing it while its there. I had a utility trailer 14+8, blasted and primed last summer for $200. It was worth every dime.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

Hammerhead,<br /> A little trick I learned from my brother who use to work in auto body.Try this if it is a steel(not galvanized)trailer only.This may sound crazy at first.Before painting,heat the area with a propane torch or heat gun.You should see moisture evaporating off the metal.Heat/prime in small sections allowing a cooling period before painting(metal should be warm,NOT HOT!).Doing this removes any moisture and keeps rust from forming making the trailer last.Needless to say,keep all paint away from open flame(unless you like a blowtorch).<br />It can be a little tricky so do not proceed unless you are comfortable with this.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Hammerhead,<br />I am undertaking that project right now.<br />I am going with rustoleum after getting many different opinins most said rustoleum.<br />I did the outside frame and fender wells this week end and no complaints so far.

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Boatingfool,<br /><br />Did you need to remove any rust? I agree that the best way to remove the rust is to have it sandblasted, but I got a quote of $500. I was going to pressure wash to remove any loose stuff, then wire brush the rusty areas, then either apply primer or now most likely the rustoleom. <br />Thanks for the advice guys!

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

I sanded the rusty spots with 60 grit and an electric sander.It worked good just make sure the spots you sand "smooth" into the remaining paint.<br /><br />Rustoleum makes a primer as well as a top coat.<br />I sanded the rust spots and the rest of the trailer I lightly sanded to rough up the surface a little. Then I put on the rustoleum primer , let dry, then put on the top coat.I used gloss white.<br />I am using a foam roller for this job, not a spray can.<br />Everyone I talked to agreed that for this job not to use a spray can.<br />I am not a paint guru I am going through this trial and error.<br />When I first started I did one fender well with spray can and the other with the foam roller. I am much happier with the job of the foam roller.<br /><br />Good Luck!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hammerhead<br />For priner I like a zinc rich primer, West marine sells it called instant galvanized.<br />Surge brakes can be tested. To start with check and make sure the fulid is at the right level. Jack up one of the wheel that has brakes. At the coupler you can apply brakes with a pry bar of some type. I use either a big Screwdriver or a tire iron. On some trailers can even use hitch reciever with the ball for a pry bar. Anyway not that hard to apply brakes and check with a pry bar but does take two people. A good time to bleed brakes also. If working a good time to change all the fluid. Suck out old add new then bleed starting with wheel farthest away from master cylinder.

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like a plan to me! Just can't wait till the weather warms up to actually start it. Boatist-I may need to change the metal brake line that runs across the axel as it is rusted ral bad, any thoughts where you can pick those up? Thanks BF for the great descritption of what you were using to paint with. I thought about using the original gray color, but I think the bright white would make it look clean. Was that your original color, or did you swith to that?

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

I stuck with white. The color it was before.<br /><br />I fear change!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hammerhead<br />For brake lines try champion trailers, They have all the brake and trailer parts you need and are a great help. They also sell the cold galvanize paint.<br /> http://www.championtrailers.com/

masterp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If your really behind the sand blasting idea, try renting a gas compressor and blaster at a local rental shop. We rent v-4 compressors all the time although I've never tried to rent a sand blaster. We have a small one in the shop, but you need a blaster with some size to handle that job!

skydad

Cadet

Re: Champion Trailers. These are good honest folks who build their trailers right. Their cold galvanize paint is top quality. They are only about 25 miles from me and i have bought many parts plus had a large trailer re-built by them. As Boatist said, try them.

Bob P

Recruit

To pretreat any rust you can get a rust pasivator,I have LOX RUST, but other brands are available at auto parts stores. You spray or brush it on any rust and it chemically changes the rust forming a darkish smooth surface. You can wash off or let it dry and paint over it. It realy works great to prevent further rust. If you dont paint over it leaves a drak discoloration where sprayed or painted. Dosnt look best but no rust.

pcorbin

Recruit

Hammerhead -<br /><br />I'm also in the process of painting a trailer that we just finished building out of C-channel. I've done some research and even contacted RustOleum and discussed with them how to treat light rust and use of their primer. I've decided to try sandblasting and rolling on a couple of coats of their RoadWarrior truck bed liner material. They claim that it seals the metal even without using primer and prevents air contact, thereby preventing any further rust. Good luck with your project.<br /><br />>pfc

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Hammerhead - All of my boating is in South Florida so I have to contend with salt water. I have had a couple of steel trailers and here is what I do. Chip out major rust/cancer with hammer - hit with wire brush on a drill - saturate with Naval Jelly (chemically kills the rust) - let dry 1 day - 2nd coat - dry 1 day - saturate with a product called Penatrol (Home Depot carries it in paint - this stuff seals and dries clear) - let dry 1 day - finish with Rustolium. That may be an overkill for you but I had one steel trailer that I dunked regularly in salt water for 15 years using this method.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Be very careful about using Naval Jelly, OSPHO, Rust-Mort or any other phosphoric acid product on the structural parts of your trailer (or auto).<br /><br />The phosphoric acid causes hydrogen embrittlement, which can cause the part to fracture. This is especially true for springs, axles, etc.

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Bought my Rustoleum paint and heavy rust primer today. The 40 degree weather here got me geared up for boating - it felt like 80 compared to the temps we have been having the past few months! Hope to take the boat off the trailer in April so I can begin the new paint job. Thanks to all for the great advice! Only 27 more days till spring!<br /><br />Hammerhead