Painting or not painting an aluminum boat

nblas

Cadet
I am restoring a 24' aluminum boat built by Peterson Builders for the US Navy as a Harbor Patrol Boat in the late 1980's.. It was built with probably the same plans for boats built by the Sea Ark company in latter years as Work Boats for the Navy.

The hull, deck, bilge area were left plain aluminum, unpainted. The cabin exterior and interior walls and roof were painted with a base coat of a greenish colored primer, and then with 4 more coats of epoxy paint to include zinc chromate.

The areas unpainted appear to have a very nominal amount of corosion on certain areas, but with none to be too concerned about. Mostly, where water and dirt may have settled and left for some time uncleaned.

My main concern are the areas that did have paint applied. There is much corrosion, so I removed the coatings with aircraft paint remover, and other mechanical methods to include sanding with 120 grit orbital sander.

I am worried about repainting it over again. I think the paint failed at some point in time and allowed moisture to sit causing the corrosion.

I am thinking of leaving everything unpainted except for those areas to be covered in the cabin in order to create a few creature comforts. The areas to be covered would have a coating of LPS 3.

Would it be unwise to leave the aluminum bare everywhere else, considering I removed the paint and the surface layer of the aluminum by sanding and grinding, and the fact that I will be operating her in the salt water ocean of the Pacific Ocean?

I would not be leaving the boat in the water, but intend to put it on a trailer after every use and washing down with soap and water and finally spraying with LPS 2 or Corrosion X ????

I appreciate any and all comments to help me make a decision on this project. Thank you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting or not painting an aluminum boat

Welcome to iboats nblas. I re-titled your thread as you probably wouldn't have gotten much help with just your screenname in there.

nblas

Cadet

Thanks so much! I am not always sure of the proper procedures.

mattrogers5

Seaman

Unpainted aluminum will oxidize and form a natural protective barrier..the dark grey ,kinda dull lookin aluminum has under gone this process . Iffin you want it to look shiney all the time ,you'll have to coat it with something like sharkskin. Iffin you want to paint it , you'll have to get rid of the oxidation ..either chemically or mechanically then zinc chromate ,epoxy primer and paint. If you plan on trailering the boat and it won't be in the water for extended periods a regular top deck paint or good automotive paint system works well...check out the starcraft guys site here on iboats forums for multiple approaches . However iffin you plan on leaving it in for extended periods and plan on using an antifouling paint ...be carefull and don't use any copper based paints (most antifouling , fiberglass boat paints) the copper will cause catostrophic corrosion on an aluminum hull ...look up galvanic corrosion. Good luck and POST PICTURES!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

I think the tradename is sharkhyde for that aluminum protectant. Would love to see pictures of that boat ;)

nblas

Cadet

I tried to download a foto of the project boat, but it seems I might have too large a file for the forum. I appreciate all your responses to my concern based on your individual experiences. I will try again to download a foto.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

nblas, the best way to post a photo is to create a free account at a photo hosting site like photobucket.com. Upload your photo there and then just link to it here.

nblas

Cadet

Here are the fotos of before and with some work in progress. Many thanks to ezmobee for helping me in trying to figure out this whole system of posting a thread and submitting fotos. Still learning a bit more, so if the link doesn't work below, I will continue to modify. Thanx

(I think I should have reduce the image size)

ranch2120.jpg

aluminumboatforSeaArk003.jpg
obucket.com/albums/zz136/671nblas/aluminumboatforSeaArk002.jpg[/IMG]

picsofboat024.jpg

picsofboat021.jpg

picsofboat026.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I edited your link to go to your whole album instead of just 1 pic :) Very cool boat! Sweet motors too.

If you want to post pictures directly in your thread, use the IMG Code links that are next to each picture in your album. Just make sure you size them to 640x480 first.

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for sharing those pictures! My hometown of Sturgeon Bay, WI is also the home of Peterson Builders. Unfortuantely where this once proud shipbuilder once built and moored cutting edge Naval minesweepers and other craft has, in the last fifteen years been bulldozed to make room for yet another marina. I personally watched from across the bay as the buildings were dismantled. Take good care of her, she is a well-built vessel. I know, because I know some of the guys who probably built her!

nblas

Cadet

I may have done something in the meantime and converted it back to individual photos. I hope you can make it so that as you said whereas one can view the entire album. Thanx!

nblas

Cadet

Silverheels,

I will try my best to care for her, and I am proud to have something of such great importance from your hometown. Would you believe i's all the way out here on Guam, USA!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a vote for painting it if you decide to. That boat would look amazing with a two-tone paint job. There are a few aluminum boat owners on here which have done just that and they were a night and day difference before and after. Plus, you need something to make the boat match those pretty engines on the back ;)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

nblas,
Welcome to Iboats.
That is a beautiful boat, whether you paint it or not.
Personally I would paint it. I'm not a fan of bare aluminum.
Nice boat either way.:cool:
Good luck.
Bob

walleyehed

Admiral

Whatever you decide to do you need to wash the aluminum with soapy water and rinse good....let dry/towel dry the best you can.
In a plastic garden sprayer mix muratic acid with water at a rate of 4 parts water 1 part acid.
Spray all unpainted aluminum to get good coverage. After 7-8 minutes rinse completely with water and let dry again. complete 1 more acid wash/rinse and dry again. Find a source for alodine and treat the entire aluminum surface just as you did with the acid. let set 15-20 minutes and rinse. This will give you corrosion treatment and improve any primer you may use in the future if you decide to paint. It "may" slightly tent the aluminum to a very "faint" gold anodized looking color but it protects the bare aluminum and can be removed with the acid if needed, but bare, un-treated aluminum oxidizes very quickly.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome. I'd paint to camo, put a machine gun on the roof and smoke cigars while aboard.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

50 cal. BAR (my favorite gun) That's one cool boat!!!:D

sprintst

Commander

Wow... Nice boat you've got there. It has definately been overbuilt for the Navy so if you look after the hull that boat will be around for years to come.