Painting options (When to Non-skid?)

cjmahm

Cadet
Need a little painting advice on my winter project. I have a 1987 Seaway Seafarer that I currently have stripped of hardware, patched all nicks and gouges and have sanded down with 220. I am not doing the hull on this project, just all the cockpit area, dash, fore-decks, gunnels, etc. The boat have a little non-skid molded into the decking, which I have since sanded down. I am looking to add new non-skid areas and also paint everything I have listed, and all will be white.

My question is, what order should I be doing this in and what method of non-skid does everyone recommend? Should I paint the non-skid areas first by taping them off, then remove tape and go over everything with another layer (or two) of regular paint? I am looking at using Interlux Brightside to paint the areas and either Interdeck or Brightside with the non-skid additive mixed in.

Thanks for any input.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Painting options (When to Non-skid?)

I would paint ever thing smooth first then add the no-skid and do last. That no-skid will have to be touched up periodically

cjmahm

Cadet

Okay thanks, my only worry about doing it that way is that i have read that you can only apply something like Interdeck directly to primer. Does anyone know if you can put it directly over a coat of Brightside? Thanks again.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

What primer are you using ?

Normally non-skid is the last thing you apply.

YD.

cjmahm

Cadet

I am looking to use Interlux primekote as the primer. I know this who thead is trivial, but i have seen this process done different ways.

Prime, non-skid, two coats of paint around non-skid areas.
Prime, Paint, non-skid, another layer of paint over everything (non-skid sandwich).
Prime, Paint all, and non-skid certain areas on top of paint.

Just trying to see what people have had the best and most lasting success with. Thanks again.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

The easiest way would be to prime everything you intend to paint, and texture - tape off the area you are just going to paint - paint it to satisfaction - let it cure - tape over it - then
texture the areas that you want the non skid performance. I
did this on a 31' Ilander sailboat with two coats of Cabelas Tuff
Coat, and it turned out great - now the client wants me to do
his 32' and 38' Comanders. Make sure you pull the tape before the texture dries. There are much more elaborate processes that
I wont get in to because you are looking for a monotone finish.

cjmahm

Cadet

Great, thanks for all the input.