Painting Old Wooden Boat

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am painting a 1957 model Stauter, which is a 14' wooden skiff made in South Alabama. I have stripped all the paint but on the wood it is not rough, but wavy. You look down the side of the boat and see many waves in the wood. You can see the grain. How do you go about filling this? Should I lay up primer after sanding alot. I want the sides of the boat to look smooth and all flat and the same level. What can I do to acheive this. Please help, any responce is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Painting Old Wooden Boat

Since you have already stripped it, you may want to condider what I did to my 1969 Stauter. Epoxy saturate the wood and refinish it. You can mix a filler in the epoxy and take out a lot of the waviness, although I don't know if you'll ever get it all out. It's not all that hard to do once you've done the stripping. You may want to take a look at the West System and the System Three Resins websites to get a better idea of what it's all about.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jack. I have used West System Epoxy before and am experiernced in fiberglassing. You are right about thickening the epoxy. But, will normal enamal marine paints adhere to this. What kind of preperation whould I do. Can I use a product such as Interlux Surfacign putty? I am on a tight budget seeing as I am only 16. I appreciate it.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Paint will stick to it if all the amine blush is well cleaned off. I like a light sanding too. I read in a commercial fishing journal that 100% acrylic house paint adhered well to boats -wood and epoxy- and tried it on mine. It not only stuck, but still looks good five years later.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Appreciate it Jack, I think I will sand the wood as much as I can with 60, then use thickened epxy and sand it as smotth as I can, maybe using multiple coats of it. Prime and paint. Project is at a standstill since I am right in the middle of Ivan's Projected Path! I appreciate all your help.