Painting Fiberglass

surferguy001

Seaman
i submitted a thread last week about a fiberglass job i was doing, well its completed now and i just need to paint it. I used epoxy based resin, and know that i need epoxy based paint, but i don't know where to get it. I went to my local home depot but they didn't carry it. I heard it was like $100 for one quart, thats kinda ridiculous i think. somebody on another thread mentioned EZpoxy but i checked it out and their website didnt make sense. I would just like to what what is the best paint (brand) for the money, and where to get it. thanks everyone

blairjbyrd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Painting Fiberglass

go to a local auto body supply shop they will be able to help you.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You don't mention if this is for above or below water line use. Fresh or Salt Water. Makes a difference you know. EasyPoxy Topside is Great paint and can be used below the waterline IF it is NOT to be left in the water for EXTENDED periods of time. (Week or more). You can Roll and Tip it, Brush it or Spray it. Very durable and easy to apply. You would be very pleased with your results. $30.00 qt. Coverage is approx. 100 sq. ft.

You will get better response if you give more details. Pics are always good too! Good luck!!:)

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...1329&familyName=Pettit+EasyPoxy+Topside+Paint

surferguy001

Seaman

oh sorry but the lack of details. well its 26' foot boat, but its just a project right now but when its done it i will have it in a slip here in san diego. as far as water line, its actually a new engine hatch cover (dog house i guess) that i just made. it is going to have full sun exposer, its roughly 4'x5' ... i forgot to mention this earlier, i would like to add some kind of grit to it so it's a non-slip surface. i heard that was really easy to do, but i don't know where to get the product either. it seems to me that spraying it would have a nicer result. my step-dad is a painter (for houses) and has really nice professional spray equipment, but its not really fine finish kind of sprayer; will this work?

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are going to put non slip grit in it you won't get a great finish on it.With painting on fiberglass I used a two part primer first then 3 coats of interlux topside sanding with 1500 wet and dry then rubbing compound and wax.

surferguy001

Seaman

Ok so i guess i won't put a non-slip surface down if it won't make the final result as nice. where did you get your painting supplies at?

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

for what your painting try lowes or home deot, look for rustoleum marine topside paint, i found it in the paint dept near the caulk, $12 a qt the primer was $19 a qt. for what your painting it should work just prep per lable instructions.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

btw there is a nonslip additive for rusto paint as well, i found rusto at lowes by accident last night looking fo 3m 5200 sealant.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey woodonglass, what kinda of primer do you recommend if easypoxy is used below the water line on a always trailered fiberglass boat? Sorry to hi-jack but it could help others as well, oh and me to:)

surferguy001

Seaman

i dont mind at all, im sure i would have asked that question eventually too...