Painting Boats

cspen

Cadet
I just purchased a project boat that needs a new floor and new paint.My last project boat I gel coated and really don't want to do that again.From what I have read sanding is the most economical way to remove the paint.The real question for me is what type of paint to put back on it above and below the waterline?<br /> Thanks Chris

tonyscj5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Painting Boats

good question, I have been thinking about the same thing. The marine paint that boat us sells is not cheap, but says it brushes on nice. I plan on spraying so dont see much advantage over regular single stage PPG auto paint. As far as the bottom I use the copper based ablative paint, but I keep the boat in the salt water for salmon season.<br /><br />Good luck, please post if you find a good top side paint.<br /><br />TF

Bondo

Staff member

I boat in sweetwater........<br />I've had Excellent Luck using two part Urethanes, both above,+ below the waterline, on both trailerboats,+ dockboats, on both fiberglass,+ aluminum................<br /><br />NAPA Auto Parts.... MSU label paint.....<br />Gotta be Sprayed....<br /><br />Surface Prep is the Key................

cspen

Cadet

I've been giving the paint verses gel coat a little thought after going to US Composites and I think I might give the gel coat another try.I applied it last time with a 1qt siphone spray gun and I had a little trouble getting it to spray but once I got thru that everything went ok.It seems alot cheaper to use gel coat[didn't seem that way last time].But anyway is the gel coat going to be more durable than paint and whats the best thing to apply it with?<br /> Thanks Chris

jonah 65

Cadet

i'm in the same boat-previous owner did rough job of hand painting onto fibreglass- will it be ok to spray using car/auto spray cans?-cheers jonah.