Painting Aluminum!

grrr_evans

Cadet
Hey everyone out there, this site is AWSOME!

I am going to paint my aluminum boat and I have Tremclad aluminum primer and then a Tremclad paint and I was wondering if that would work? also I had to take quite a bit of out paint off and there is still some spots that I couldn't get all the paint off, I don't know what paint was on there and I was wondering if the Aluminum primer would stick to that paint too?

Thanks everyone!

ooo ya and is there anyway to keep aluminum from oxidizing? like a clear coat or anything?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Painting Aluminum!

Never heard of that brand but it sounds like you have it.

Aluminum primer has an acid base that actualy eats into the metal and makes it stick, so if you are using aluminum primer and the paint that is suppose to go with the primer not much can go wrong.

I would check to see if you will get a reaction in an out of the way place and preferably on a paint edge, where bare metal meets old paint.

If it doesn't react nothing willhappen, if it does the old paint will shrivel up and look kinda like a raisin.

Etching primer will stick very well to the old paint and you only need to remove the old finish if the paint is bad and not sticking to the hull anymore, otherwise just a good scuff is fine.

Just painted mine a couple weeks ago with a base/clear coat.

Remember the finished product will be as good as your prep, 95% of paint is in the prep,I spent @ 35 hours sanding ect and 2-3 hours actually painting

As far as oxidizing you woul dhave to use a shark hide type product for that as it is made to stick to aluminum, clear coat would eventually flake off I think.

This a project that is worth every second, its almost like getting a new boat with out the payments.

Here is how mine turned out, get up some pics if you can

Attachments

• P4060468.jpg
    P4060468.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020369.jpg
    P1020369.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

If you want to go all out you should try an electric sander and go at the old paint other Wise you should sand the old paint so the new paint well adhere to the hull good luck and post a photo or 2.

D

DJ

If the old paint is stuck on there-leave it. Just fair out the edges.

Any bare spots should be washed with a 50/50 solution of White Vinegar and water. That will "etch" the bare aluminum.

The bare aluminum spots should be painted with Zinc Chromate primer. That will also etch the aluminum.

Your primer should go on everything-after that.

Top coat final.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i thought tremclad was a branch of rustoleum....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do a google search on tremclad..... look it up and see if it is used for marine use. Rustoleum has a marine paint made for the job.