------Painting Aluminum Starcraft SS 16ft------

tcampbell011

Seaman
Okay I know there have been TONS of people asking the same questions, but everyone has a different answer and it gets really confusing. I have a 16ft starcraft with an ugly (imo) beige paint job. From reading around the forum these are the steps I came up with....

1. Wash with water and scrape off as much old paint as possible
2. Use aircraft stripper to take off paint
3. Wash with water
4. Use degreaser
5. Wash with water
6. Sand
7. Apply Glu-Vit
8. Apply Self Etching Primer (Dupicolor Brand)
9. Paint with EasyPoxy

am I missing anything? I don't know if its correct to put Self Etching Primer OVER gluvit. I'd appericate any help. Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: ------Painting Aluminum Starcraft SS 16ft------

I'm not a Tin Boat guy but... From what I have learned here on the Forum, Gluvit is customarily applied to the Inside of the boat, Not the outside. There are many strippers to remove the paint. Many have had good luck with the Citri Stip in the Orange Can. Wash the hull with an acidic wash i.e. Vinegar and Water 50/50. Final wipe down would be with a solvent such as Acetone. Self Etching Primer is the Norm, Lot's of different brands. EasyPoxy is just one of many brands you can use. The link at the bottom of my signature has some good info on painting.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 16ft starcraft with an ugly (imo) beige paint job.

Beige !?? That's probably a very classy Bavarian Cream! I'll be you're not going to repaint it Glorious Orange or Godawful Green, the other OEM colors that it could have been painted. Of course, I could be a little prejudiced. - Grandad

tcampbell011

Seaman

Woodonglass- Well I have a deck thats in great shape with which we are modifying to better suit our fishing needs, therefore I have no access to the inside. I want to have extra protection against leaks because last year I felt like water was seeping in slowly... any ideas of something similar to seal the outside???

Grandad- well the beige is flakey and spotty. Also the starcraft logo is painted over, I want to trace it out with some white or black paint. I was planning on painting the bottom of the hull battleship grey and the sides navy blue. My dad thinks I'm crazy, he doesn't understand how painting my boat will catch me more fish. :rolleyes:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not saying you can't put Gluvit on the outside. It will work and since you're going to be painting you should be fine. Might not Look the best but it should help to seal it. Like I said I am NOT a Tin Boat guy, just reporting what I have learned here on the Forum. Coat-IT is almost the exact same as Gluvit only a bit cheaper.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Coat it is what i used on my 21ft aluminum boat. It works great! However, if you decide to put it on the outside of the boat it will show through your paint. Does the rivets leak? if they are not leaking, then why spend the money on coat it or gluvit?

As far as painting goes. I would not use a paint stripper myself. I would sand the boat down as best as possible, and then prime it with a aluminum primer, then paint over the top.

Here are some pics of how my boat turned out. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Before:

DSC_0143.jpg

DSCF2609-1.jpg

DSCF2607.jpg

After:

DSC_0025-3.jpg

DSC_0024-3.jpg

DSC_0023-3.jpg

bigdee35

Recruit

Hey Isaac!!

It looks great. What type of paint did you use? the green and black look really nice.

-Derik-