Painting Aluminum Boat Hull

dzurinko

Seaman
Hi all. Teardown on my 16' 1987 aluminum Mirrorcraft is almost done. Got the old warped, wet transom out. Getting ready to begin rebuild. Trying to get my plan together for painting the hull. The paint is very sound on the boat. Actually still shiny on most of it. BUT...there are a lot of scratches. I've looked at Woodonglass' link for painting. Great link. But I only have some scratches to worry about then repaint for a different color. So here is my plan and I ask anyone to tell me if I'm missing a step or if I'm doing a step that I don't need to do. This boat is freshwater only and will sit on a trailer most of the time.

1. Peal off old decals, numbers, etc.
2. Lightly sand entire boat to get shine off.
3. Wash with 50/50 vinegar
4. Zink Chromate on the bare scratches (See the pics)
5. Rustoleum primer on entire hull using roll and roll method
6. Lightly sand primer (is this step required?)
7. Final rustoleum coats(2) using the formula of 2 cups paint, 1/4 cup rustoleum thinner, 1 oz hardner. Roll & Roll.

If you see any improvements to this sequence, let me know. Check out the pics showing a decent paint job but with a hundred tiny scratches.

Attachments

• DSC_0114_2_1.jpg
    DSC_0114_2_1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0120_6.jpg
    DSC_0120_6.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0121_5.jpg
    DSC_0121_5.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0122_4_1.jpg
    DSC_0122_4_1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0123_3_1.jpg
    DSC_0123_3_1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting Aluminum Boat Hull

Hi all. Teardown on my 16' 1987 aluminum Mirrorcraft is almost done. Got the old warped, wet transom out. Getting ready to begin rebuild. Trying to get my plan together for painting the hull. The paint is very sound on the boat. Actually still shiny on most of it. BUT...there are a lot of scratches. I've looked at Woodonglass' link for painting. Great link. But I only have some scratches to worry about then repaint for a different color. So here is my plan and I ask anyone to tell me if I'm missing a step or if I'm doing a step that I don't need to do. This boat is freshwater only and will sit on a trailer most of the time.

1. Peal off old decals, numbers, etc.
2. Lightly sand entire boat to get shine off.
3. Wash with 50/50 vinegar
4. Zink Chromate on the bare scratches (See the pics)
5. Rustoleum primer on entire hull using roll and roll method
6. Lightly sand primer (is this step required?)
7. Final rustoleum coats(2) using the formula of 2 cups paint, 1/4 cup rustoleum thinner, 1 oz hardner. Roll & Roll.

If you see any improvements to this sequence, let me know. Check out the pics showing a decent paint job but with a hundred tiny scratches.

Sounds like a workable plan. How are you going to fill in the actual holes, TIG weld them or fill with body filler? And I would prime the entire boat AND sand that primer before applying the final finish color... As far as the recipe for the final finish, other will have to chime in. I never used any of those products before... Keep us posted with pictures so we can see your progress... I'll watch for sure...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You should skim your pitting and the deeper scratches with a marine epoxy product after sanding and sand those spots again before priming, I like the Loc-tite marine epoxy but there are other brands too.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

You should skim your pitting and the deeper scratches with a marine epoxy product after sanding and sand those spots again before priming, I like the Loc-tite marine epoxy but there are other brands too.

I was thinking down that line of repairs myself. However, I got to ask you, if you do fill in the holes with epoxy and sand both sides until it is smooth, will the holes stay or could you inadvertently hit or bump them and they pop out. That was my only worry about epoxy fillers in holes like that. That is why I questioned if he was going to TIG weld them and sand smooth...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I was thinking down that line of repairs myself. However, I got to ask you, if you do fill in the holes with epoxy and sand both sides until it is smooth, will the holes stay or could you inadvertently hit or bump them and they pop out. That was my only worry about epoxy fillers in holes like that. That is why I questioned if he was going to TIG weld them and sand smooth...

I've got 3 or 4 screw holes filled with marine epoxy on my boat, been that way for 4 or 5 years and hasn't leaked a drop yet.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I've got 3 or 4 screw holes filled with marine epoxy on my boat, been that way for 4 or 5 years and hasn't leaked a drop yet.

Well that is okay then in my book too. Thanks for the reply... I just always wondered about things like that. I did use body fillers in different metals but never sanded both sides down 'til smooth... Thanks jng...

dzurinko

Seaman

It looks like a lot of holes but all but several have something in them. Four bolt holes hold the hydralic trim that the motor clamps to. Two are splashwell drains. Two are livewell intake and output. Eight smaller ones attach to two floor/transom braces that bolt through the transom. And four small screw holes is for the original aluminum plate on the back of the transon. Two other small holes hold the depth finder sending unit. That leaves 3 or 4 tiny screw holes that Ill use JB weld along with a 3" x 3" area with pitting which I wss going to use JBweld. Ill use 4200 or 5200 on all the screws and bolts. Ill post pics as I progress. Is loc tite marine epoxy better for pitting than JBweld?

dzurinko

Seaman

It looks like a lot of holes but all but several have something in them. Four bolt holes hold the hydralic trim that the motor clamps to. Two are splashwell drains. Two are livewell intake and output. Eight smaller ones attach to two floor/transom braces that bolt through the transom. And four small screw holes is for the original aluminum plate on the back of the transon. Two other small holes hold the depth finder sending unit. That leaves 3 or 4 tiny screw holes that Ill use JB weld along with a 3" x 3" area with pitting which I wss going to use JBweld. Ill use 4200 or 5200 on all the screws and bolts. Ill post pics as I progress. Is loc tite marine epoxy better for pitting than JBweld? Oh yea...I almost forgot, I have two handles so thats another 4 screws. BTW gm280, filler in holes would scare me too. Cant tell you how many times Ive been in real thick sticks and stumps. My luck something would poke exactly the hole I filled and spring a leak.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Use either Loc-tite marine epoxy or JB Weld marine, regular JB Weld may not hold up in a marine environment.

dzurinko

Seaman

Okay jigngrub. I have never used either so loc-tite it is.