Painting a fiberglass deck?

gunkas

Seaman Apprentice
I am thinking about painting a twenty year old fiberglass deck. It looks like it has a gel cote layer. Is there a paint or painting system product that I could research or any suggestions, I just want to make a improvement on cosmetics. It doesnt have to be perfect just a uniform color and consistency that will not peel or chip within reason, Thanks, Mark

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Painting a fiberglass deck?

could one power polish with rubbing compound and try to restore gelcoat?

gunkas

Seaman Apprentice

After Hurricane Andrew in which my neighboors roofing tile shelled my boat like cannon balls, I didnt know any better and marine texed in many nicks, cracks and holes. More recently I restored some of the rooted wood so eventhough it is a solid deck, it looks like a twenty year old deck that has been thru a hell. I just want an uniform color that will be durable. Rather then restoration of the gel cote, I would be happy with some sort of thick layer of polyurethane sealer, etc. Maybe Im dreaming. Thanks, Mark

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Spray or Brush it on,Mark?<br />Spray, I would buy the expensive stuff.Imron pigmented to the color you want.<br /><br />Brush, use marinecoat epoxy mixed for a slow set, pigmented at mixing. It will require a bug-free, dust free area,because everything will become part of your hull for eternity(I found this out te hard way)
newburn.gif
<br />Good luck at any rate.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Mark.<br /><br />Have you considered Rhino-Lining it? I have seen deck boats with this product that looked great and were very slip resistant and UV resistant.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ya JB.. and it works great on the inside of leaky alum fish boats, too......just dont use black!

joe parker

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Mark, I like J.B.'s idea too. you can buy that product by the gallon at northerntool.com. item #330410-c159. it comes in white too. sorry I don't know how to post a link yet.

BillT111

Cadet

Saw your post,,I like the Idea of Rhino lining it,,,,, Are you wanting to do the hull and upper deck?<br />AS for the hull.there are several types of paint, epoxy was mentioned in one posting and works well but application needs alot of careful prep work. can also be sprayed on .As for the very bottom of hull there are Teflon and other anti-fouling products to consider if baot is left in water along time... good luck,,<br /><br /><br /> Billt111@aol.com