Painting a fiberglass boat

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I want to paint my 20' center console boat.I had schooling in painting cars and is fiberglass the same way.I have alot of stress cracks and this is going to be the first step.Will a good marine epoxy primer do the trick on this?I not sure of the brand of primer and top coat to use,any suggestion?Also I not sure to spray or roller the paint.I like to spray it because of the tight placing to get in.Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting a fiberglass boat

It can be tough to fix a bunch of stress cracks because each one needs to be sanded out and filled with glass, or at least a very strong filler or they will come back. Epoxy primer won't keep them from returning and you may also need to find out why they're there in the first place. If the deck or hull is flexing too much in some areas, then you may need to reinforce those spots. Good automotive paints work very well on boats if they're not kept in the water for long period of times, which is the same for many Marine paints.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Fibreglass flexes more than metal with temperature fluctuations. Some paints are flexible, some need a flex agent added. Same for painting a urethane car facia, (bumper cover).

Spray will give you a smooth glossy finish, a roller will leave a texture.

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

most of the cracks are hair line crack,i guess the gel coat.What the process for these kinds of cracks.thanks

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Interlux prime-kote is a very hard primer........actually i believe it's just liquid resign with pigment it so damm hard..:D