Painting a 86 Winner 1700

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

After a lot of researching\reading I decided to paint my boat with Benjamin moore M22 (outside hull). I've prepped the boat (sanded, removed decals, sanded again, washed, sanded, washed again etc).

I painted the boat using the roll and tip method starting with 150 grit sand paper and at the moment on 220. I've put 2 coats on the boat already.

A couple of questions:

Anyone know if there's any type of "gloss" i can put on top of the m22 paint?

Also, where does one get a replacement boot? My boot has a hole in it and I cannot find any stores that carry a boot. I'll post pictures in a little bit

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6956.JPG
    IMG_6956.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6969.JPG
    IMG_6969.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6971.JPG
    IMG_6971.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6974.JPG
    IMG_6974.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6958.JPG
    IMG_6958.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Painting a 86 Winner 1700

Did you buy paint that is dull?

Or does it just look that way because you are not done.
With more coats it should shine. And of course don't sand the last coat.

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

It says on the product description 85% gloss.

"Product Description
This urethane alkyd is superior to conventional alkyds when applied to surfaces that are intermittently exposed to light chemical environments. Provides better color and gloss retention than epoxy esters on exterior exposures. Provides good abrasion resistance on high traffic floor areas. Designed for interior or exterior application on metal, wood or concrete surfaces. Easily applied by brush, roller or various spray methods.

Colors Available: Benjamin Moore? Color Preview? Bases, Clear Base, Deep Base, Tintable White*, Safety Yellow, Safety Red, Safety Blue, Brown, Bronzetone, Safety Orange, Platinum Gray, Battleship Gray, Aluminum, Safety Black.

Gloss: 85%

Clean Up: Hi-Flash Naptha Thinner M97 or Mineral Spirits

Resin Type: Urethane Alkyd

Recommended Use: Interior, Exterior

Recommended For: Metal & wood, cabinets, equipment, storage tanks, machinery, metal buildings, floors, conveyers, marine exposures (above water), fences, railings, general maintenance, catwalks painting, piping, doors."

Those pictures are 1st coat on. I've put 3 coats on (last was today).

Would it be possible to "wax" the boat after I finish with the last coat? I'll probably put on about 5 coats of white and 2 coats of yellow. Kind of overkill from what I've read with others post but i do want it to be smooth.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

If you wax the finish wait at least 1 month.
It will take that paint that long to fully cure.

85% may be enough shine. I don't think there is a 100% gloss.

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

After leaving the 3rd coat to dry, it actually looks a lot better. It's still not a mirror like finish but it's good. I'll post pictures of the white in a little bit (wife is using the camera).

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

So after the 3rd coat of white rolled on and dried, I found out that the paint was really starting to look good. After letting it dry and wet sanding and washing, I decided to paint the yellow on. Let me know what you guys think!:D I do appreciate the help I've received and the tips I've gotten on this site.

Attachments

• IMG_7023.JPG
    IMG_7023.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7175.JPG
    IMG_7175.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7177.JPG
    IMG_7177.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7174.JPG
    IMG_7174.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 0

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

That looks good to me.
What do the specs say for the gloss on the yellow?

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

It's the same Benjamin Moore M22 paint that I used for white except in yellow. 85% gloss.

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

Some more pictures. The yellow went on dark but turned out lighter then I thought it would. I need to finish up the cap and wet sand with 1000 grit before the final coat. Roll/Roll method works really great for this type of paint.

Attachments

• IMG_7251.JPG
    IMG_7251.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7252.JPG
    IMG_7252.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7253.JPG
    IMG_7253.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7254.JPG
    IMG_7254.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7255.JPG
    IMG_7255.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 0

scott in nh

Recruit

Hi I am about to repaint my boat using the Ben M paint as well and am very interested in your results!

My boat is yellow, black and white from the last repaint and the kids insist that I keep those colors, so your input is even more valuable.

What do you mean by roll/roll?
Why did that work better the roll/tip?
What did you thin the paint with and by what percent?

Does anybody know if this paint could be wet sanded and buffed?

Thanks,
Scott

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

Hi I am about to repaint my boat using the Ben M paint as well and am very interested in your results!

My boat is yellow, black and white from the last repaint and the kids insist that I keep those colors, so your input is even more valuable.

What do you mean by roll/roll?
Why did that work better the roll/tip?
What did you thin the paint with and by what percent?

Does anybody know if this paint could be wet sanded and buffed?

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott,

with the Moore paint, it's easier to roll the paint on (using a foam roller) and then roll the bubbles out with a clean foam roller. If you roll and tip, you'll see the brush lines no matter what type of brush you use. (believe me i tried all types...)...don't press to hard on the clean foam roller when rolling out the bubbles. I didn't have to thin the paint either. Also, don't roll the paint on too thick. use thin coats. I sanded the old paint down and then washed\cleaned, painted with white, sanded using a higher grit (i think I started with 220), washed and cleaned, sanded again with a higher grit etc...i put about 6 coats on. You probably don't need to put that many coats on but i'm a perfectionist. My last sand paper i used was 2000 grit sandpaper (wet sand). I haven't waxed the boat since I want the paint to fully cure. I've been told by customer service at BM to wait a month. but i'm waiting a month and a half. I've also been told that you don't have to wax the boat after you finish painting it.

scott in nh

Recruit

Thanks,
So it's been over a month - let's see some progress shots!

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

Sure...as soon as I buy a new digital camera! :D I'll get some up for ya..

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like how your boat looks with the yellow/white combo.

Nice job:)

Yeah, I would love to see the finished pics:D

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rave did you use any specific time between painting and sanding, (did you wait hours,days before you sanded between coats.)Does B/M recommend any time frame for you too use when applying multiple coats. Oh by the way your boat looks great, a very nice color combo.
Bailey