Painting 70hp Johnson outboard

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Painting 70hp Johnson outboard

It actually has only seen freshwater...one lake only :). Crazy uh! I'm guessing it just never got repainted in the 31 years it has been in service.

There must have been some stray electrical current in the marina's water...definately some electrolysis going on there! Better get some zinc anodes if you plan on leaving the boat there.

Mas

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It actually has only seen freshwater...one lake only :). Crazy uh! I'm guessing it just never got repainted in the 31 years it has been in service.

Wow, interesting. I just bought three Evinrude Larks at the coast and oddly enough, they are all freshwater engines. I wonder how they managed that? LOL

tasmania105

Cadet

I'm in the early stages of prepping my outboard for paint and the iboats forum along with this thread has been of great help. I too decided to take the outboard off the boat and even built a motor mount for it with some 2x4's. Hope that all goes well with your project!

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my restorations, I usually paint the mid section/exhaust housing and lower unit once it's all bolted back together, and all the mechanical is finished. The reason for this is because the bolts that hold on the mounts, brackets and lower unit need to get painted as well. On paints that are metallic, you can see touch ups, it's hard to match, even if you are using the same paint / or aerosol can, so you wind up doing another coat overall to hide the touch-up areas where the bolts go. I do put a good color coat on areas that will be hard to spray once assembled, like the front of the mid section housing, tilt lock mechanism, and transom bracket hinge. I then finish assembly the and give the whole lower end several thin color coats to get a good even build. The OMC paint takes a bit longer to dry than most, about 1-2 hours, I let it sit overnight. I also found the OMC paint works better with many thin coats as opposed to thicker coats.

Depending on where you live, you may not be able to buy Zinc Chromate primer, but you can still find Zinc Oxide in and etching primer. Some aircraft supply houses can still get Zinc Chromate primer in aerosol.
With the engine on the transom, and on tilt, with the trailer tongue on the ground, it puts the lower unit and mid section at a perfect angle for painting. Grease BTW, works great as a removable masking on the prop shaft :). I like to paint early in the morning because all the dust has settled and the air is calm, as opposed to a windy afternoon.

timg19

Seaman
There must have been some stray electrical current in the marina's water...definately some electrolysis going on there! Better get some zinc anodes if you plan on leaving the boat there.

Mas

It might look more pitted then it actually is. The surface is smooth, tried to show that in this photo. The paint is just in really bad shape.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325171556.074061.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325171556.074061.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0

timg19

Seaman
On my restorations, I usually paint the mid section/exhaust housing and lower unit once it's all bolted back together, and all the mechanical is finished. The reason for this is because the bolts that hold on the mounts, brackets and lower unit need to get painted as well. On paints that are metallic....

Thanks for the great advise! Really looking forward to starting the painting.

timg19

Seaman
tasmania, really glad your getting something from this thread! Hope your project goes well

timg19

Seaman

So I have the swivel bracket all painted and I'm putting it back together and I can't for the life of me figure out where one of the springs go. If anyone has a Johnson engine around 70hp, could you post a picture the driver side with the engine up? I have all the repair manuals, and there is NO information about the swivel brackets, and all the exploded views only show the part, not where it goes.

timg19

Seaman

Thanks kfa4303.

I have actually seen this and it is part #90 on the 20" exhaust housing. After looking at this I might have another idea of how it goes together, but as you can see, those exploded views aren't much help for that part :)

I'll take some photos of the issue later today. Maybe people just looking at it can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the arm (part #80) shows two spots for springs (77 & 90)... from there, up to either 80 or 85?

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

where a lot of people don't put paint , is in the pipe where the steering cable connects onto , it does corrode in there , mine was corroded so bad it had holes in , take a round file & clean it , then flush with thinners , plug the one end & pour good quality marine undercoat in , then repeat with with the paint x2 coat's , i have put a coating of epoxy on the outside & sealed the holes

Attachments

• Photo0219.jpg
    Photo0219.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

i give you a tip , i striped my motor right down , & desalted every part using , my nitric acid formula , previously on my other outboards , i used to use INTERNATIONAL TOPLAC , MARINE PAINT, i find it very expensive , so formulated my own paint , it gives a better finish ,[gloss as glass ] water resistant 100% , sticks to rubber , wood , plastic , aluminum , steel , building bricks , 100% percent petrol proof , TOPLAC costs around 96 dlrs , my formula only costs 50 dlrs , i even epoxy coated inside my motor block water ways & inside the exhaust box water ways . toplac only makes a few colors , my formula makes any color in the rainbow & YOU CAN MIX & match to make your own colors ,k , when i finished i called the fibre glass shop owner , where i bought the toplac paint from over to my house & showed him , the man could not be-leave what he saw , the difference between his , product & my formula , try it out , after mixing u only have about 30_40 minutes working time , you can also spray it on with a spray gun , mix lacquer thinners with it , what i do is mix small amounts at a time , if you interested i will give you my mixing formula , cheers NOTE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LEG & GEARBOX , the leg has been painted with toplac , & GEARBOX WITH MY FORMULA ,

Attachments

• Photo0398.jpg
    Photo0398.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo0283.jpg
    Photo0283.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0

timg19

Seaman
Ended up figuring out the spring and got the mount together! Almost done!

Will give an explanation to the spring with photos later, but wanted people to know it was resolved.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327638174.757280.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327638174.757280.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327638193.814628.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327638193.814628.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0

timg19

Seaman

So over a year later I'm finishing up this thread. Here are the final Photos. I ended over heating the engine in July last year because the water pump key broke and the pump stopped (not the mention the over heat alarm didn't fire).

Take aways from this project was:
- Great way to learn about the engine and outboards!
- Overkill to just paint the engine. I agree with dakz14.

Things I did:
- Painted outboard,
- New Wood Trim, electrical, transom ladder, front cup holders
- New stereo
- New glovebox
- new steering wheel

If anyone wants any details, please let me know.

7pbfkQixE0JBfssPS1I_uKPKudJpQFvU6xWzu9pG7bM.jpgLvUhAIjk5L7CUmYhuokl7m_NTHeq9IgLRoqzyPsu-Co.jpgvHNAzEQb7pdIqnCiT70pXAmSVgz8sQjC-VbRZmv1jBE.jpg

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their help. The new owner of this boat is very happy with the restoration job I did and is enjoying the new engine I put on. I just brought home our new boat yesterday! A 2003 Rinker 192 Captiva 4.3 MPI Mercury 220HP... LOVE the boat, but a whole new beast to figure out :)

Last edited:

dazk14

Ensign

Beautiful restoration job on the boat.

You are also the rare forum member who actually follows up with a conclusion of a thread!! :jaw: