Paint with roller?

billbro68

Cadet
Someone told me I could paint my '78 cuddy with a roller and get a great job. Just got this project boat and it's in pretty good shape but could use a paint job. I want to paint the upper side now( bow and sides to rub-rail) and the hull this winter when it is out of water. Sure would like some input from you fellers , what kind of paint, tips on how to, anything would be appreciated. Anyone ever hear of a Marquis, cant find it on the web. It's a 22.5 ft with a 305 cid, merc outdrive. I never had anthing but an outboard before so this is anew experience for me. Thanks for any advice tips on how to, etc Billbro Chattanooga, TN :

Whit

Cadet
Re: Paint with roller?

The process is called roll and tip. Roll the paint on and then go over it lightly with a brush. If done right you can get some great results. You should be able to find a lot of info on the process on this board.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

and I'll add; use absolute best quality roller,<br />brush*** and paint that u can afford.

billbro68

Cadet

Im willing and able to buy whatever is needed. Roll and tip sounds great to me. What kind of paint,etc, Thanx all

Billnicole

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just finished my Whaler with Brightside rolling and tipping and it looks better than I could have hoped

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

billbro,<br />I just finished up my boat this weekend. I used Petit's Easypoxy, with a roller, and did the brush/tip method described above. Do a search on "brush and tip", one of the gentelmen in here has an EXCELLENT how-to. <br />Some folks prefer a mohair roller, I used a dense foam roller. I also used approx 10% brushing thinner in my paint, then just rolled it on, slowly. For the most part, a lot of the bubbles flattened out on their own, but I went over it with a Purdy 2" brush. <br /><br />My boat's aluminum, and I had a super-smooth primed surface to work with. For the most part, your job will be about the same, but check to see what primer/top coat you'll need for fiberglass. <br /><br />I put the first coat on, let it dry for 2 days, wet sanded with 320 grit paper, and did a recoat, wet sanded with 600 grit paper, then applied a final coat. One would be hard pressed to find a brush or roller mark - I can see myself in that finish... Just make certain that your surface is absolutely clean between coats. <br /><br />I'm a wood-boat guy, so I lacked a bit of confidence in doing aluminum. It came out great though, so my worry was for not. <br /><br />Good luck<br />Rick

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We did just what you are talking about to our 23' walk around this past winter. I did a bunch of repairs, fixed all the dings and scratches, then we painted it from the waterline up to the rub rail. We'll get the cabin and all that next winter.<br /><br />Here's hat it looked like after the last coat of roller applied paint:<br />
coat4.JPG
<br /><br />We used Awl Grip, their complete system and nothing else. Oh, and we didn't tip it. That is a finish job that was put on with my wife applying the paint as thinly as she could with a standard 9" roller (Glasscoater 1/4" nap) and I followed her by a couple of feet with a 7" felt covered roller. All I was doing was a final evening out of the paint and to make sure she didn't miss any spots (white paint on white primer can be difficult to see) and to catch any runs and thin them out before they set. We got a few gnats and in the end there were 2 small runs, but I was very much satisfied. Last saturday when I was filling the boat back up with gas a fellow commented on the new boat. I told him it was 14 years old and had been done with a roller. He was one of the guys who builds boats over in Wanchese, NC (home of the finest of the large Carolina custom sport fishermen) and he told me that he could not believe it had not been sprayed. Trust me, it was the paint, not the painter that deserve the praise. That Awl Grip may be expensive but I've never seen a paint like it. The shine and image reflection is simply astounding, better even than a new gel coat with the best of wax jobs. You never wax the stuff and it has a life of about 10 years, which is realistically about original gel coat life in the real world. Anyway I would recommend it, but like any paint, preparation is everything and with this stuff you need to prepare the surface like it was a custom car finish, because it is so reflective its going to show any crappy repair work under it or any printhrough of the glass if that is a problem for you.<br /><br />Thom

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

No overspray to breathe in either. ;)

billbro68

Cadet

Thanks guys for all the info. Thomwv, where can I find the Awl Grip paint? My boat needs no repairs, no scratches or blemishes except some stains that only come off by sanding lightly. It's an oldie, 1978, and probably hasn't beem waxed in many years. The birds have used it for a porto-potty after they lunch on berries. How do I prepare it for the paint. The finish is very smooth just dull and stained.My email is Billbro68@aol.com if anyone has any pics or info for me.By the way ThomWv, that is a beautiful finish on your boat, what a great job you and the Mrs. did. Thanks again to all. Bill inm Chattanooga, TN

ThomWV

I'll shoot you an E-Mail tonight. For now I'd suggest that if you have a fast printer available that you go to the Awl Grip site and download and print their appliation manual. There is a ton of information there, most of it irrelevent to your situtation, but good to know anyway.<br /><br />Thom

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

wow, nice paint job thom! How many coats was that?

ThomWV

I began with Awl Grip's primer (Number 545) and there were 4 complete coats of it on the boat first. I just kept applying it and sanding it until I got full coverage after sanding with the 3rd coat. Once I had that, one good complete tight coat, I put on one more just to make sure. It too was wet sanded (320 grit). Then we went to top coats. I had been warned that with Awl Grip the first coat wasn't going to be anything too write home about, that it was the second coat where things got good. After the first coat the boat looked better than new. The second coat was even better. The problem was that i am a crap painter and there were still runs and sags by the second coat - but we were learning. There are 4 coats on the hull as you see it in the picture. One of the things about Awl Grip is that what you see is what you get. The paint can not be sanded and rubbed out. In fact scratches and problems with the paint can not be fixed by sanding and rubbing at any time with Awl Grip. You have to get it right the first time. In our case the 1st time came out to be the 4th time. <br /><br />We paid an awful lot of attention to what we were doing on that final coat. It is not tipped. We tried tipping on some of the earlier coats - it did not improve the finish. The way we settled on for the final coat was that my wife went first and applied the paint using a standard 9" roller. I followed behind her by a couple of feet with a smaller, 7", roller with a very short napped cover on it. All I was doing was making sure that we had complete coverage and making sure there were no runs. This method worked, as you can see.<br /><br />In total I used about a third of a gallon of top coat paint to do the 4 coats on the hull. That should tell you, this paint is applied very thin. In fact I will say this, no matter how hard you try you can not apply this paint thin enough. Thinner is much much much better. I simply can no emphasize this enough. Also, the recommendation for reducer (a special blend of the stuff is made just for brush or roller application) seems to be a bit on the skimpy end. There are two slightly different version of the instructions for reducer with the stuff. One says use a maximum of 25% by volume and the other said 33%. What I discovered was that if we began by mixining in 33% it still wasn't enough. What I did was add one cap full of reducer to every filling of the paint tray. By the way, that tray filling was usually just an oz. or two of mixed paint.<br /><br />At any rate this is what I wanted you to get out of it. The paint is expensive, no doubt at all about that. For the primer we used a gallon plus a quart. When I say that what I mean is that I bought a gallon and later a quart of the primer paint, that does not include the catalizer and reducer. I was applying it far to thick, but we were learning. For the final top coat color, the shiney stuff, I bought a gallon kit (which included a gallon of paint, a half gallon of catalizer, and two quarts of reducer). This stuff cost very close to $300 a gallon. I used about a quarter of it to do 4 coats on the hull. My experience with the primer had given me the wrong impression on how much I would need. I bought far more than I needed and could have saved considerable money if I had known how much I really needed. On the bright side, the stuff won't go bad and we will be doing the top side, the cabin and cockpit, everything above the rub rail, and in fact we may go ahead and redo the hull too at the same time. The three quarts of paint we have left will be plenty to do the whole boat with several coats.<br /><br />Thom