PADI divers, rant.

D

DJ

Re: PADI divers, rant.

I think allot of this has to do with how and where the cert was given.<br /><br />I know PADI certs. are given at many worldwide resorts after a one day training course. That, IMHO is a grave mistake.<br /><br />I wouldn't let one of those "weekend wonders" dive in my bath tub.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I got certified in a 3ft deep pool in a nice resort in Cozumel, Mexico. I had to be able to sit on the bottom and not drown. <br /><br />I can dive with the best of ya. :D :D :D

mattttt25

Commander

i was padi certified 11 years ago. two weekends of class/pool work, one weekend of diving in quary. thought the training was good. i've since gone on dives with friends and also with paid groups, and have had no problems.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wonder if alot of it comes down to 'resort' PADI certification. Around here (Raleigh NC), most PADI certification is done through dive shops with good reputations, or independent instructors where reputation must be very important to their business. I'm guessing that resort places have much less risk along those lines, i.e., they're certifying people who they'll probably never see again.<br /><br />Still, sounds like quality control problem for PADI the organization. <br /><br />Achris and Parrott_head: have you ever considered calling PADI to report the offending training sites? I know, it's not your responsibility, but it might result in some action by PADI that could save someones life down the road.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

PADI certified May 3, 1990 - Open water dive north of Boston. Water temp 42*F. Visibility 3 feet with nice post storm surges (had to hang onto rocks to keep from getting pushed back and forth into others). This was only after 3 months of Tuesdays in classroom and Thursdays in pool. My instructor was thorough and didn't pass some people who didn't learn it to his standards. I have met PADI and NAUI cert people that can barely swim let alone figure out safe dive times and how to use equipment properly. I believe you just got "un"lucky that both were trained by BAD PADI instructors.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reminds me of my father and his brother who couldn't get their tanks refilled without certifications. My uncle was one of the first "frogmen" trained by the US Navy in the late 1940's as a member of the Underwater Demolition Team (UDT), predecessors to the SEALs. Upon HD, he taught my dad how to dive. After hundreds of hours of open ocean diving to 100' through the 50's and 60's, they couldn't get their tanks refilled because "some young snot-nose says we need to be certified". They still managed to get their tanks filled (somehow), and never did get certified. Can't teach old dogs new tricks... even dogfish.