P/S squeal

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Chris, This is in a 1985 SeaRay Sundancer 260. That front accessory pic you posted will not work in this boat. As you should know, if it was the PS would be through the hull in the water. There is not that much room in the bilge. A simple google image search for 1985 Mercruiser 260 turn this pic up and is what my configuration is. Idk if this is an 85, just looks like mine.

Against my better judgement, I am going to reply, because it may help someone else in the future. We don't need to know what boat the engine is, or was, in. That is of no concern. That same hull may have several different engine options, even different engine suppliers, so knowing the hull is of no use when asking for engine help. In another post you said the engine was from a 74 ChrisCraft. Again, that tells absolutely nothing of the engine. Could be a GM, could be a Ford. Could also be a Volvo for all we know. (I know my boat had both Mercruiser and Volvo options, and in-line 6 or V8 options. The V8 options were 888 (Ford engine) or 898 (GM engine). And I have since re-powered, twice! Some parts guy is going to flip his cool if I ever ask for parts for a '1972 Bertram 20' without telling him EXACTLY what engine is in it.) This is when I got frustrated. Sorry about that. I don't do 'simple google searches' when looking for answers to ill-formed questions. I try to ask as many questions as I can to determine the best possibility. And getting you to tell me exactly what was going on was difficult, I don't know why you were so reluctant to tell me the whole story from the start. Also remember, I am in Australia. I don't know the configuration of every boat ever built here, I have little chance of knowing the configuration of your particular boat(s). So statements like 'As you should know' are completely meaningless and frankly, a little condescending. You also said you have problems when going to get parts because the parts guys want to know the year or serial number. Why am I not surprised. How else is he going to find the parts you are asking for? Like me, he has no idea how or to what extent your engine has deviated from factory supplied. These (Franken-Merc) engines are a complete PITA to work on/with. They have bits from different eras in different configurations, and often with 'home-made' brackets or some other 'get-around' to overcome problems trying to blend engines of different eras. I have turned away more than one when asked to work on them! I've seen outboard engines with the carb from the next HP up. Trying to 'spare' those is a nightmare. I remember a customer came in once, asked for a carb gasket set for a 1985 15hp. I supplied him, but he's back a few days later telling me I gave him the wrong kit. How the heII was I to know he'd put a 1976 20hp carb on it 8 years ago!!?!???! Am I supposed to ask every customer if his engine's been changed before supplying parts? Even worse when he sells it, without telling the new owner it's a bastardized engine!

I apologise for any misunderstanding, but I was answering the best I could given the scant information provided. Until you posted the photo, I (incorrectly) assumed you had the 74 engine with the 85 accessories bolted up in the 74 configuration. When I saw the pump mounted high, I realised it was in the wrong place for the 74 engine..... and commented so.

72gt160 maybe send Chris a pic of your engine in your boat if possible it might help him diagnose your problem a little better. If the boat is not at your home then I guess this don't really help

Judging by 72GT160s' comments, I suspect he's not going to listen to anything I have to say anyway. Let's just leave this thread to disappear into the archive, ah? ;)

Makes it difficult to help people when you have to pull every bit of information out, like a dentist pulling teeth. :facepalm:

Chris.......

Last edited: