Oxidation issues

Anthonym2

Seaman
I used a restore product for the white oxidation on my boat and it worked really well. The color came back and looked great, however one day later the white is back again. Anyone have any suggestions why this happened? Do I need to seal it immediately following application with a wax? Is it normal that it would return like that?IMG_20210412_085657480_HDR.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need to sand down past the oxidation, then buff it back to a shine. I would start with 320 grit, then 400, then 600, then 800, then aquabuff, then finessit

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
You need to sand down past the oxidation, then buff it back to a shine. I would start with 320 grit, then 400, then 600, then 800, then aquabuff, then finessit
DO NOT TAKE THAT ADVICE!! !! I owned a blue hulled Regal.Oxidation was much worse than yours. It all depends on what has already been done to try to get rid of it.If there have only been "miracle cures" like wiping on different products then this will be a big advantage to you.If the gelcoat has been "worked" previously ,meaning compounded or wet sanded,then you have to be much more careful because you have less blue gelcoat to work with.You can wear right through it.What I did is invest in a decent rotary polisher.Must be rotary.Get the largest wheel available 7" mimimum.Work in 24" wide sections and apply a polish,not a wax or a cleaner wax but a polish or cleaner polish.See if you can find a store with a can of Dupont polishing compound.Not rubbing compound.Put a dab of polishing compound on an applicator and then the cleaner polish on top of it.More cleaner polish than compound.Wipe it on the section and then put more polish on the bonnet and do a uniform side to side with some overlap.ALWAYS keep the polisher moving.You will need to lean on it a little to work the finish.When you are done with the 1st section ,change bonnets and use a silicone based wax or polish .Silicone is to moisturize the gelcoat.Car wax wont do this as well.Apply and then polish in up and down motion overlapping .After this section is done step back and judge the results.This will give you a good idea of what to expect.Post back results and I will fill you in on the next step once you have it how you want it to look.Big tip is to do this in the shade and cooler temps.The sun and heat are your enemies during this procedure.Charlie