Own a Durango or Dakota??

KaGee

Admiral
Better check with your dealer.... your wheels might fall off! :eek:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Own a Durango or Dakota??

LMAO .. <br /><br />... saw that too last night/this morning.<br /><br /><br />another reason to buy a Dodge .. the carnival ride effect :p :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Thought it was only the Hummer H2, Any chance of another Firestone Follie??

gaugeguy

Captain

Here's a direct quote from D/C spokesman Max Gates...<br /><br />Gates said Chrysler recognizes there is a problem with the upper ball joints, but we do not think it rises to the level of a safety defect.''<br /><br />OK, so the wheels fall off my truck, but they don't consider it a safety defect :confused:

KennyKenCan

Commander

What years are they talking about?<br /><br />I know alot of friends who own these vehicles!<br /><br />I know the '99's thru '01 Durango and Dakota were having problems with weak ball joints, but Dodge didn't seemed to concerned and had no recall on them.<br /><br />There are after-market kits to beef-up these ball joints.

KaGee

Admiral

I believe 2000-2003, I could be mistaken. Best to check with the dealer.

ehenry

Commander

I have a Durango.....biggest piece of **** I've ever owned. Will never own another Daimler/Chrysler product again.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I love my Durango(2003). Never had any problems yet. Loads of power but sucks up the gas big time. I believe the recalls only pertain to 4WD which I don't have. Sorry about your luck efhenry. What problems have you encountered? Maybe I should be on the lookout?

D

DJ

Chrysler has been quoted as saying something to the effect that "there are warnings that something may be wrong in the front suspension".<br /><br />I could not agree more. The issue has been identified as an accelerated wear issue. Ball joints don't just fail. They give plenty of warning. Noise, steering issues, etc.<br /><br />With todays, Jiffy Lube, style of auto maintenance, no wonder things wear out and fall off before clueless drivers realize there is an issue.<br /><br />Nothing against Jiffy Lube, great idea, good service, they just do not go far enough. Most Americans won't pay to have a thorough inspection made on their vehicles. Or, they think anything identified as a potential problem is just the opinion of a crooked mechanic. Thanks, TV sensationalist consumer advocates.<br /><br />Just wait till it breaks, that's what lawyers are for.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I own an '02 1500RAM pickup. I love it. It's by far the best truck I ever bought new .<br />The best used truck was a chevy that ran until the wheels and bed fell-off..Literally.<br />But hey, stuff happens to a vehicle with 185K miles on it.

KaGee

Admiral

DJ... most of the new suspensions use sealed ball joints and tie rod ends. There is no way to grease them. Sometimes a mechanic can install zerks, most of the time not. So, when you get an oil change and lube, quite often there is nothing to lube.

11 footer

Lieutenant

We bought a 2002 Dodge 2500 new, don't have a bad word to say about it, had a '89 3/4ton powerram before that, was also a good truck. Only replaced it because we wanted something newer and with better gearing for the highway.<br /><br />Why do so many people hate Dodges?

D

DJ

KaGee,<br /><br />You missed my point. "Servicing" and "checking" are two different things.<br /><br />Sealed or not, when they are worn out, they are worn out. Nobody checks the basics anymore. Well, I shouldn't say nobody.<br /><br />The difference is that you have to PAY to have the full suspension service inspection performed, or DIY. The general American public won't pay for a full maintenance check up on a "perceived" American vehicle. They will on an import. Don't shout me down on that observation. Been there, lived it, seen it, did it.<br /><br />As an exmaple. When I was a Service Manager at an Oldsmobile and Toyota dealership we had two distinctive types of customers.<br /><br />Examples follow. Almost ALWAYS TRUE.<br /><br />The Toyota owner would come in at 7500 miles. Our 7500 mile inspection was $240.00. A bumper to bumper inpection following the Toyota maintenance manual, which they read, to the letter. The customers would say-OK. Here's my money, take it.<br /><br />Oldsmobile. <br /><br />The Old's 7500 mile service was a tire rotation and an oil change. $35.00. We did more than that for the $35.00. We checked, lights, brakes, fluid levels, etc. Yet, the customers would "rip you a new one" for gouging.<br /><br />Don't get me wrong, I'm no Daimler/Chrysler fan, but let's let the facts speak.<br /><br />American vehicle drivers, in general, are clueless to mechanical problems. I would bet that only 5% of the American vehicle driving public has ever read, or used, an owners manual.<br /><br />Prove me wrong. Been there, seen it, live it every day.

Homerr

Commander

I've seen this time ant again in Dodge trucks...<br /><br />They make one hell of an engine, but the bodies just fall apart.<br /><br />I have a couple of friends that have Dodge trucks, and something is always falling off of them... But they run good!<br /><br />I'm a Ford man, and I service all my equipment ('cept my new Ranger... it's under warranty) :) <br /><br /><br />H.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

By Tom Costello<br />Correspondent<br />NBC News<br />Updated: 7:23 p.m. ET Dec. 10, 2004After earlier saying a problem with wheels falling off some of its most popular vehicles was not significant enough to warrant a recall, DaimlerChrysler on Friday reversed itself — and said it is in fact recalling some of its most popular vehicles, the Durango SUV and the Dakota pickup.<br /><br />The recall order affects 600,000 vehicles. DaimlerChrysler tells NBC News it agreed to the government's recall request after reviewing dozens of cases where a front wheel fell off.<br /><br />"We don't like our customers in any type of a panic mode," says Jason Vines of DaimlerChrysler. "And from what we were hearing at the dealer level, customers were upset."<br /><br />But on Thursday, the company said the issue "doesn't rise to the level of a safety defect."<br /><br />The problem has been under investigation for a year. The upper ball joint can come apart, causing the vehicle's suspension to collapse and the wheel to fall off. <br /><br />It happened to Tina Czech of Massachusetts. With two small children in her 2000 Durango, she was trying to turn into a parking lot, just before getting onto an expressway.<br /><br />"It wasn't making any unusual noises," says Czech. "I was driving along, and the wheel fell off."<br /><br />Consumer advocates had been demanding a recall.<br /><br />"There's an instance where a woman almost lost her baby and had her neck broken when this happened. I mean, this is not a small problem," says Joan Claybrook, spokesperson for Public Citizen.<br /><br />Both the Dakota and the Durango are assembled at a plant in Kokomo, Ind. The parts are made in another plant.<br /><br />The company says it will now recall all the models made in 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003, extend the warranties on 2004 models ball joints, and reimburse customers who've had to pay for repairs.<br /><br />As recalls go, 600,000 is not particularly large. Past recalls have included up to 8 million vehicles. But for DaimlerChrysler, which has so far enjoyed a good year, the recall will be expensive.<br /><br />"Even if you calculated at $100 per truck a recall, you're still looking at something like $60 million to fix all these trucks and get them back out in the hands of consumers," says Angus Mackenzie, the editor-in-chief of Motor Trend magazine.<br /><br />There were other recalls Friday as well. Honda recalled its CRV after a series of fires linked to its oil filter seals. And Ford is recalling 474,000 Escape SUVs because of an accelerator problem.

D

DJ

It happened to Tina Czech of Massachusetts. With two small children in her 2000 Durango, she was trying to turn into a parking lot, just before getting onto an expressway.<br /><br /> "It wasn't making any unusual noises," says Czech. "I was driving along, and the wheel fell off." Read (yellow page) lawyer already called and involved.<br /><br />No mention of miles, etc. For all we know that vehicle has 500K on it and has been maintained by Larry the Cable Guy. Or, it's an ex taxi. What does she think is unusual? A person falling through the windshield?<br /><br />Don't know, do we? <br /><br />I rest my case. Example from above post proves it. Completely "clueless" American driver.<br /><br />Media panic and sensationalism. It sells. Notice how they brought up the "children" card. <br /><br />Dodge will be OK on this one. They are wholly owned by a German comapany. Nothing to sue here. The lawyers won't touch it-no big money.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a Durango (1999) and I love it. However, I'm not exactly pleased with this recall. It's not just the 2000-2003's that have the problem. The 1998 and 1999 models do as well. Additionally, it's not just limited to the 4x4 models. However, for whatever reason (money) DC decided to exclude them.<br /><br />Ball joints were one of the first things I replaced on mine. They were in horrible shape (and no, they cannot be greased). The aftermarket ones I installed do have the fittings though.<br /><br />For those that wanted the dealer to replace them, people had to sometimes wait for six months due to backorders on the parts because the problem was/is so widespread.<br /><br />This isn't the only problem that the Durangos and Dakotas had though. Window motors failed prematurely, throttle position sensors and the early 4.7 engines were prone to sludge problems due to too small of an oil screen.<br /><br />I have a performance modified 5.2 V8 Magnum in my D and I wouldn't trade it for anything else out there. All vehicles have problems and I'd take a Dodge over just about anything else. The problem isn't so much the vehicles as much as it is the company continually failing to acknowledge the problems they have.<br /><br />More information here. Even though there is finally a recall, there are many of us D owners that are not pleased.<br /><br /> http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38049

KaGee

Admiral

SBN...<br />What Escapes? I own a 2001.