overpowering

westcoaster90

Seaman Apprentice
Re: overpowering

To the OP....don't worry about these guys man.....we over power our boats all the time. My 1978 21' Jet Boat is pushing close to 450 hp..... and when it was new, it's did NOT have a capacity plate on it.

Most guys I run with have some serious horsepower pushing their sleds.....

I realize your original post was meant to be more fun than it turned out to be.....especially with the up tight "Know it alls'" on the boards. .

it's all good buds. i'm not concerned one bit. I do know there are some knowledgable people on forums like this but I also know the forum is accessible by everyone including the guys who go out on the water once and think they know it all. most will call themselves experienced because they've gone out boating 6 times a year in the summer for 5 years straight. well I got news for you guys :D. this is why I take everything with a grain of salt. I really don't care what anyone thinks. I am not a dealer or any kind of business. I build boats on the side of regular work, use them as my personal boat for a bit, then sell them off as is to very experienced boaters who know very well what the boat is and can do. there are tourists coming from down the coast and inland with there fancy GPS's and nice $200,000 boats who are cruising through the sound busting lower units clean off, smoking sand bars head on, or getting hung up on the mudflats etc...... it is because they are inexperienced. going damn near full tilt relying on your GPS to tell you everything is just stupid and that's how most are. my friends in the guard get sick of summer fast because of these people. it's absolutely ridiculous and if it were up to me they wouldn't be allowed to bring there boats here. now i'm done. it's all good, my closing line will be: you don't know good wake boarding, tubing, or boating for that matter until you run an overpowered boat because who wants to run a turd :peace:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hope I'm not overpowered . C/G tag says rated for 85 hp . The factory spec for my boat in 1964 rated it for 90 hp . Have 90 e-tec with new seacast transom . OK hopefully !

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

OP isn't even reading any of the posts now other than the ones with the flames.

Makes me wonder if he even has a boat or just a serial forum flamer... :flame:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Oh, yeah, westcoaster, I forgot to mention: When I was young and dumb and full of---- I put a 25 Johnson on my 6 or 8 foot (I don't remember the exact length but it was less than 10) jon boat. Damn thing flew until I flipped it. Flipped it in New York in November. Cold water and I was lucky to get to shore before I froze. Teenagers ARE indestructible! LOL Lotsa fun while it lasted though.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I did the same thing Frank A.
Built a homemade fiberglass jon boat,just shy of 14' couldn't off been much over 200lbs as I put it in the back of my truck.C34427.jpg
Used it with a 9.9hp or even just a trolling motor.
One day in the river decided to try a 15hp on it,it was blowing pretty good and the wind must of helped a lot but flipped it right over.
Good thing I had a floater jacket on,it was Oct. and even in the summer here,salt water doesn't get much above 68.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For those who haven't seen it yet, google "outboard overkill" and watch. "Overkill" is used pretty lightly :)