Overnight on pontoon?

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Planning overnight trip in July. Aside from regular camping stuff, any tips or ideas for my 21 foot with full canvas camper top?

Thx

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Overnight on pontoon?

I suggest a list start it and put down ever thing you think you may need. then over time run over it in your head and add things, then at the last moment forget it and start jamming stuff in a bag, lolol thats how it works around here. :D

arntarchie

Seaman Apprentice

also have a full top on my 24 spent 100 days (70 nights) on the lake last year.
I really like my air matrices its a thicker one that fits between the front bench seats and is the same height so the hole front end becomes a bed
12 volt inflater , Colmen makes a good little turbo inflater that's good, not the D sized battery ones.
If its not to hot and the wind is right we leave some of are sides up and have a large bug net we can hang in most of the cabin to keep the little F#$*&^% off, that's the best.
If it is hot and sticky we stay in are slip and tern on the AC, last winter one aspect of my rebuild was to add a 110 AC system to the boat so we could take advantage of the shore power that are slip has.
PortApot
we like to anchor out in the cove (more privacy) and the bugs are almost non existent so knowing what the bottom is made of so I have the appropriate style anchor to get a good bite
Hot water shower.
If she is comephy she will love it

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a deep cycle battery in a battery box. On top of the battery box is a 1000 watt inverter. Very handy for any AC power needs... Like a box fan, lamp, charge cell phone, boombox, even a LCD TV. Easily last overnight.

Grilling on the pontoon is not for us, too big of a chore. We just pack some simple sandwiches and a box of Oreos. Simple works and everyone happy.

I know you have the canvas, but if rain shows up, everyone will be miserable if they are not warm and dry. Cheap rain ponchos go a long way.

NM-jim

Recruit

When I worked 2nd shift I spent many nights camping on my pontoon. There is something about the sound and movement of the waves on a boat that will give you the most rest full deep sleep. Be sure and use two anchors! For a anchor light I use a chemstick light, as not to drain the battery. If you can find an old-growth tree to tie to that even better. If you set out some fishing lines be sure and tie the lines to the boat, if you fall asleep you don't want to chance losing a good rod n reel.
For sleeping, I sleep on two thermarest pads, then a sleeping bag, years of camping and that is the best sleeping surface I have found, the air beds work OK when new but after some dirt and grit gets into the valves they don't hold air all night. Invest in the best quality ice boxes you can afford, the Yeti boxes are too costly for me but the Maxcold ice boxes work great and will keep ice all weekend. If you have room, one ice box for food and one box for drinks, as you consume the food move the extra ice to the drink box. The drink box will use ice faster than the food box.
In time you will learn to sleep with one ear open for sounds of an storm moving in. If caught by bad weather go to a marina or beach the boat in a protected cove, do not go to the boat ramp. All the drunks will return to the boat ramp, trying to load their boats in a storm. I have seen major damage to boats and trailers caused by this. Good luck, have fun!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I set up mine to camp on. The front 8 x 8 of the deck has no permanent things attached. I have a 8 x 8 x 72 tall inch tent that fits very nice. Then 2 cots and air mattress and LED lantern and a BBQ grill and even have a propane coffee pot for the wife. I had a extra zipper put in the tent so you can go out the front gate if your pulled up on the bank. I like to tie off on a old tree top to sleep. And yes i do make a list and store things in the large plastic tote boxes before hand and when ready to go its easier to toss those in the truck and handle them down the cat walk at the marina and your stuff is in a water proof box till you need to pull it out and use.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

for light/short rain a few cans of walmart canvas waterproofing from the camping section worked very well on our top. Only once with a several hour long, pretty heavy rain did it soak in any at all.