Overheating Problem

Brody133

Seaman Apprentice
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I have a problem with overheating. I’ve replaced the water impeller and I’m not sure what to do from there. I’ll attach some pictures and try to explain to you all what is happening from left to right. Ok, first picture I took out what appeared to be (or so I thought) the thermostat because it had a wire connected to it, but it looked to just be some sort of temperature gauge giving the dash a temperature reading and the second, and fourth pictures are kind of the layout so you all know what you’re looking at. The third picture is what I pulled out of the hole in the first picture. The fifth picture is for both sides of the manifold and when I unhooked the hoses a lot of water seemed to come out from the manifold and not the hoses. The sixth and seventh are just some videos of certain things going on. Please ask me some questions because I’m stumped and I’m dying to figure this out as I’m hoping to get it back going on the lake. Also I should note, it’s a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL.

Attachments

• 2E755B59-F289-48F7-8DC4-C1BE6B678FFA.jpeg
    2E755B59-F289-48F7-8DC4-C1BE6B678FFA.jpeg
    951.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 405CF660-B29F-44CE-B9C0-AA19F96A93CE.jpeg
    405CF660-B29F-44CE-B9C0-AA19F96A93CE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • AC6FB37B-F473-4F77-9C2A-F6FBD51DDD62.jpeg
    AC6FB37B-F473-4F77-9C2A-F6FBD51DDD62.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 3CAD19C5-8F72-41B5-A716-C5D9D42DFB94.jpeg
    3CAD19C5-8F72-41B5-A716-C5D9D42DFB94.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 7C36106B-0B35-49C3-9B60-BCAC48714245.jpeg
    7C36106B-0B35-49C3-9B60-BCAC48714245.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3221.MOV
    9.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3219.MOV
    24.6 MB · Views: 0

Brody133

Seaman Apprentice
Also I do wanna say at idle, the middle hose, which is the one that comes from the impeller, doesn’t really seem to shoot out a lot of water. It just seems to gurgle. Now when you give it some gas it does seem to increase flow.

Brody133

Seaman Apprentice
The last video (I think) of the manifold, before I could get the video going it seemed to spew quite a bit of order. I don’t know if that matters or not, but I’m just trying to give as much information as possible.

alldodge

Staff member
The pump is not able to bring in enough water.
The VP Dudes will be along shortly but with pump being new and if the hoses are on correctly, then its the intake piece on the bell housing or the drive

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You’re not getting anywhere enough water up to the impeller. The water should be shooting out of the manifold feed hose and the hose that goes from the impeller to the thermostat housing. Are you using good fitting muffs? They must fit tightly for the impeller to prime. You might have old impeller bits in the thermostat housing if the old one came apart. Make sure all the passages are clear.

Brody133

Seaman Apprentice
You’re not getting anywhere enough water up to the impeller. The water should be shooting out of the manifold feed hose and the hose that goes from the impeller to the thermostat housing. Are you using good fitting muffs? They must fit tightly for the impeller to prime. You might have old impeller bits in the thermostat housing if the old one came apart. Make sure all the passages are clear.
I had a feeling I wasn’t getting enough water because when I unbolted the cluster with the 5 hoses running to it, it’s like the impeller wasn’t sending enough water up the hose into the middle of the manifold (which could be noticed in the last video). I will say, and you know more than me, it just seemed to gurgle at idle and actually seemed to push water when I give it gas. So I wanna look further into not getting enough water. So is the thermostat what I pulled out in the third picture? Because it doesn’t look like it. It just looks like some sorta temperature gauge. If not, where can I find the thermostat housing? I will add that, yes, the old impeller seemed to be chewed up pretty good, but I did check the hoses and they seemed to be decent. If you can show me other areas to check that might help as maybe there’s pieces clogging something up.

Brody133

Seaman Apprentice
Also I wanna say, in the second picture, that middle hose is the one that comes from the impeller, the two back hoses come from the exhaust manifolds, and then the big one on the far right goes somewhere into the front of the engine and then in the fourth picture, to the far right is my water pump and the two hoses… the big one runs somewhere to the back of the engine and then of course the smaller one goes up to the top where it meets with the other hoses. Figured I would note that so you can kinda see how it’s laid out. Sorry to those of you that don’t understand what I’m trying to say very well. I’m not a mechanic, but I’ve always wanted to learn… just not this way lol.

Brody133

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so I found a video on YouTube that had a similar engine and the way it was laid out. So the part where all the hoses run to is my thermostat housing and to my ignorance, I didn’t know the thermostat was up in that part of the housing. That leads me to my next question though, what was that in the third picture that I took out? I still think I should be getting more water flow though, regardless of the thermostat right?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Stop pulling things apart and back flush the cooling system after you replace the impeller and the water inlet casting

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The part you removed is the temp sending unit for your temp gauge. I suggest you get a shop manual & start reading. These are very simple systems

Brody133

Seaman Apprentice
The part you removed is the temp sending unit for your temp gauge. I suggest you get a shop manual & start reading. These are very simple systems
Yeah I guess they’re simple if you know what you’re doing.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I really think you would save both time and money if you were to download a manual, I will post a cooling system diagram for you below to give you an idea of how it all works and where to look.

Attachments

• Cooling System.JPG
    Cooling System.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 16