Overheated first time out....Help.......

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice
It's a 2001 FW Horizon 190 w/ Volvo/Penta 5.0 GL with SX stern drive.<br /><br />Bought it 2 weeks ago and put it in the water today and after about 10 mins with the engine running it overheated. And I mean all the way over to Hot! I pulled up the drive and nothing was blocking the water holes.<br /><br />I just got home and looked into the water inlet holes on the stern drive and I can see little pieces of rubber. And I am pretty sure these are not supposed to be in there. I am trying to get them out, but could this be the problem? And what could they have come from?<br /><br />Please help...Not a very good first time out :cry:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Overheated first time out....Help.......

Those are the Pieces of your Former Waterpump Impeller,......... There'll be Alot More of them Lodged in the Waterline leading Into the engine........<br /><br />I Don't do Volvos,..... But,... I Think it's safe to say you need a Waterpump Rebuild Kit,.... The Complete 1.......<br /><br />Also check your Exhaust for Burn Rubber Parts.......<br /><br />It's Usually caused by running it Dry........

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

This is what I pulled out so far. And I guess I can't run the boat until I rebuild the water pump impeller? And where is this part located at on the engine :confused: <br />
00004348ao.jpg
[/img]

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........ That's Impeller.......<br /><br />Nope,....... The Boat is Grounded,... Til Repaired........<br /><br />I Don't do Volvos,.... Don't Know Where the Impeller is Supposed to be........<br />Probably In the Drive,... Somewhere....<br /><br />Can you Resize the photo down to a more reasonable Size,...... The Dial-up Guys aren't going to Like That......

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Okie Dokie..Got the impeller out :mad: <br /><br />So what would you boat wizards recommend me do to try to flush out the remaining pieces of impeller?<br /><br />Did I forget to say.......I LOVE MY BOAT..I LOVE ME BOAT :D

Bondo

Staff member

If you can Identify the In-coming Waterline at it's junction with the T-stat housing,......<br /><br />Disconnect it There,+ Back Flush with a Strong Flow from a Garden Hose........<br /><br />But,..... Like I Said,.... I Don't Do Volvos...... :D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It's mounted on the crank pulley ...this should not be confused with the standard engine recirculating pump. There will be two rubber hoses going to it which are around 1 1/2" diameter.<br /><br />The Volvo part is around $40.<br /><br />I am very surprised you found those pieces where you found them.<br /><br />What is the model number of your engine? It is on the tag next to the oil fill.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

wander over to www.dougrussell.com and look in the Volvo/OMC section, they will have diagrams of all the cooling hoses, you may find more pieces of the impeller in the power steering cooler, or thermo housing. Thermo housing is easy to remove, p/s cooler is tougher, on the older ones it was on the rear of the engine, not sure about one as new as yours. Pretty much this is a yearly replacement item. I do it every year on my old Cobra drive. That way you don't ususally burn one up unless you run it out of the water or pick up a plastic bag on the drive.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Ok..been looking for part # 825940. That is what is on my impeller. But it seems to have been replaced by a new part #. Anyone got the new part # or can help point me in the right direction..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since you have a 2001 boat, does not mean you have a 2000 engine/drive package installed. Most boat manufacturers use up old engines before moving on to the newer models.<br />Do you have a serial number or "FULL" model number to help figure out which engine you have.<br />You may or may not have a crankshaft mounted raw water pump. It's also very possible you have the hoses hooked up backwards on what ever pump you have (It's very easy to do, trust me) this will destroy an impeller in a very short time. I would guess the previous owner had this problem and may have tried to flush the hoses from an easier place like the thermostat housting, and that would explain the pieces in the drive. But, if it was hooked up backwards again, another impeller is now needed.<br />Anyway, get me a serial number and I can get you some information as to what impeller, pump, and year your engine and drive is. Then, you really need to get a set of OEM manuals for your engine if you want to do the repairs correctly. They are a lot cheaper than all the parts you will be buying without them.<br /><br />PS: Unlike Bondo, I do Volvos.......... for a living. ;)

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

the mystery of how those pieces go where they were is a good one. How about this. The boat was winterized. hoses pulled from back of the pump. Someone put them on in reverse so now the outbound side of the pump is pumping down the pickup hose and into the drive. and guess what, since it's not gonna draw water in that configuration the impeller burns up and the pieces try to exit the drive.<br /><br />And yes, you must now pull your exhaust boots and make sure they aren't junk. They can look good outside and be crispy critters on the inside. Lose one of those on the water under the right conditions and you can take on a LOT of water. trust me, I know..<br /><br />As for your pump, you need to replace the impeller at a minimum. Not sure I would get into a rebuild on my own. After only 10 minutes running dry I don't think you'd need to address more than the impeller just yet. I just went through a couple of used pumps, one of which was overhauled (by a volvo dealer). Finally, Don convinced me to just spring for a new one. Bingo, my overheat is gone.<br /><br />You also need to make sure those hoses are hooked up correctly!!!!!!!

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I hate you.. beat me by ONE MINUTE!!!!

Don S

Originally posted by mcleaves:<br /> I hate you.. beat me by ONE MINUTE!!!!
:D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

825940 is still a valid number for the impeller itself. However, when you buy the kit which includes the correct gaskets for your paticular water pump, there will be a different number for the kit which includes the 825940 impeller.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. Engine S/N: 4012048172<br /><br />You mentioned the hoses Don. When I pulled all the hoses off and flushed them, looks very rusty lookin inside :confused: and the didn't come off easy. Looks like they have been on there awhile.<br /><br />The guy I bought it from told me today when I called him about the boat :mad: , told me it never not once ran hot. But I have just purchased a new impeller rebuild kit p/n 3862281 off E-bay. <br /><br />I am a little concerned though about finding all these little rubber pieces :( . If they are in the engine block, they should flush themselves..right? And btw....Where does the water in the motor go to let cool fresh water circulate? Is there a drain it comes out of while underway? I have noticed on outboards the little (pee-pee) stream if ya will..coming out the engine. And I guess this is hot water that has passed through the motor?<br /><br />You guys are a great help and I can't say Thank You enuff!!!!<br /><br />Chad

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Thats the same part number that I have for my 97 7.4L. It comes with 5 different gaskets to fit different pump bodies. How did you come up with that number for yours?<br /><br />It will definitely have the 825940 impeller. I know because I bought that exact kit last weekend.<br /><br />There is a guy selling them at a good price...$24.78 plus $3.00 postage.<br /><br />Water comes in from the stern drive, through your power steering cooler and into you raw water pump. From there it gets pumped up to your thermostat housing. From there, it goes 3 ways. Two of the ways are to your two exhaust manifolds and then through the risers and out through the exhaust. Your circulating pump draws water from the thermostat housing into the block and back out to the thermostat housing assuming the thermostat is open. The volume of water in the thermostat housing is very large so some of the heated water from the block will get forced out the exhaust manifolds to be replaced with new cool water from the raw water pump. There is no pee hole since all the waste water gets dumped into the exhaust.

Don S

The good news, you ordered the proper impeller kit for your engine serial number.<br />For future reference, you actually do have a 2000 model year engine. It's an "EF" model. <br />5.0GL PEFS is the full model number.<br />Below is a picture of the cooling system. The water comes in through the drive (where you found the pieces of impeller) and goes out through the exhaust, which also keepes the exhaust cool.<br />Pieces of impellers get stuck in the worst places and sometimes can be very hard to get out.<br /><br />
EF%20Cooling%201.png

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Did I menton that " YOU GUYS ROCK" lol.<br /><br />Looking at the thermostat housing, I have it off and it looks like the thermostat doesn't come out. Looks almost pressed in....Because since I has it off, I was gonna replace it. Almost looks like I have to buy a complete housing to get a new thermostat

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Might want to think about replacing your exhaust elbow/riser gaskets.<br />They don’t like being overheated and can cause some big $$$ damage.<br />Good luck Muc

Don S

Looking at the thermostat housing, I have it off and it looks like the thermostat doesn't come out. Looks almost pressed in....Because since I has it off, I was gonna replace it. Almost looks like I have to buy a complete housing to get a new thermostat
Now you know WHY you need a service manual. Here is an excerpt from it (without the picture).<br /><br /> 3. The thermostat E is held in place by an O-ring. Pry the O-ring out of its groove, then lift the thermostat out of the housing.<br />4. Discard the housing gasket and O-ring. Thoroughly clean the housing and manifold gasket surfaces.<br />5. Place the thermostat in the housing. The temperature sensing<br />element E must face you when installed. Install a new O-ring to seal<br />thermostat in housing. Make sure O-ring is completely seated in its<br />groove.<br />6. Coat both sides of a new gasket with Volvo Penta Gasket Sealing<br />Compound and place it on the manifold. Position thermostat housing<br />and lifting eye on engine adapter as noted in Step 2. Install two lock<br />washers and screws D . Tighten the screws to 20-25 ft. lbs. (27-34<br />N•m).<br />