Overheat ?

cousineddie

Cadet
I had my 95' 90 HP Force on the river the other day and about 5 minutes into the ride the overheat alarm went off, I shut the motor off for a minute and restarted and accelerated up to a plane and it went off so I continued my ride with a steady stream out of the pee hole which it also had when I was idling around 900 to 1000 rpm. When I brought it back to the dock it again went off after about 5 min. of idling so I pulled the boat out of the water and took the cover off and it did'nt seem hot at all, in fact I touched the heads and they we're just warm. I just recently had a new impeller and t-stat put in and have only had it in the water maybe 4 times with no problems. The only thing that I have done to the engine since the last time out was put on a Cobra Marine stabilizer. Is it possible this is some how disrupting the water flow to the water pump. I know it behind the intake. I pulled the plugs out and they all look fine no signs of a headgasket problem. Any Ideas?

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Overheat ?

The sensor is likely bad and causing false alarms. If you can touch the power-head and it's only warm, your cooling system is definitely circulating water otherwise you would burn your hand.

cousineddie

Cadet

I installed a new sensor and I'm going to take it out this weekend and try it again. I put the old sensor in a pan of water on the stove and it closed at 170 degrees which kinda puzzles me as I think it probably is ok but I guess it could be an intermittent problem.

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed a new sensor and I'm going to take it out this weekend and try it again. I put the old sensor in a pan of water on the stove and it closed at 170 degrees which kinda puzzles me as I think it probably is ok but I guess it could be an intermittent problem.

The sensor wire could have been shorting or otherwise the circuit was getting grounded and casing buzzer to go off.

cousineddie

Cadet

Well I putted around the marina today at 950 rpm for 40 min. and no overheating warning. I had the cover off the motor and was able to check actual head temp with my infrared temp gun and it stayed at 125 to 130 all the time. I'm wondering if it was the old temp sensor that I changed or taking off the stabilizer? Either way I'm glad it nothing serious with the motor. Thanks for all your input.