Overheat Light for 63 Evinrude BigTwin

63BigTwin40

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
7
Hi,
I have a 1963 BigTwin 40hp that has a cool little overheat light that mounts on the instrument panel. I am wondering if I can use a tempature gauge instead of the light (would be nice to know she is getting warm before actually overheating).

Thanks
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: Overheat Light for 63 Evinrude BigTwin

A gauge requires a different type of sensor at the cylinder head. The light bulb type is either "on" or "off". The gauge type is variable reistance.
 

63BigTwin40

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
7
Re: Overheat Light for 63 Evinrude BigTwin

Thanks FR, do you know if a variable sensor is available anywhere that would work?
 

Willyclay

Captain
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
3,276
Re: Overheat Light for 63 Evinrude BigTwin

I put an OMC temperature gauge on my 1962 Johnson 75HP because of the same problem you are having. My gauge came with a sensor that mounts on a head bolt. My problem turned out to be a bad OEM overheat sensor.
Good luck!
 

63BigTwin40

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
7
Re: Overheat Light for 63 Evinrude BigTwin

Thanks Willie, i'll try to find one.
 
Top