Overheat alarm at idle... I think??

I had never heard of a poppet valve or knew what they would be for. Found a great vid. here on the subject. Are these a regular maintenance item?
I have no clue how they actually work, (Like what makes them actually open or close) I will check out this vid. Thank you!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I have no clue how they actually work, (Like what makes them actually open or close) I will check out this vid. Thank you!!
PCV stands for Pressure Control Valve
or PRV Pressure Relief Valve
under high RPM the pressure builds up and over comes the spring loaded valve , dumping excess water lowering the pressure.

as I said if it sticks open ,it will dump too much water at lower rpm, the block will not fill with water so the motor has no cooling on some cylinders causing an overheat condition

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
PCV stands for Pressure Control Valve
or PRV Pressure Relief Valve
under high RPM the pressure builds up and over comes the spring loaded valve , dumping excess water lowering the pressure.

as I said if it sticks open ,it will dump too much water at lower rpm, the block will not fill with water so the motor has no cooling on some cylinders causing an overheat condition
So would this be something you change on a regular basis or just wait until it acts up?

Oh, ok I gotcha, I've really only heard it referred to as "Poppet Valve". I've never had this problem before with any of my previous boats (Skeeter, ProCraft), so I never really gave it much thought. Thank you for clarifying this for me!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
It would think it to be an inspect, clean, or replace if needed.
Kind of like the stats.
if you are paying someone to do it, just replace because their labor would be more to inspect, clean ,test and put back in, than the new part

Truth. I generally do all my own maintenance. (I have to, I can't afford to have anyone else do it! LOL!!)

Reactions: KJM