Overhauling old trailer and Greenball Tow Master Load range F ST225/75/R15 tires?

mcmarcia

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 27 year old Rinker Captiva 209 few weeks back. Boat is in pretty good condition, but4300 pound single axle trailer was totally neglected with rusted out surge brakes, 10 year old Carlisle tires, and antique winch. I figure boat could weigh as much as 4500 pounds once I factor in 2900 for boat, 7-800 for trailer, 50 gal tank plus another 24 to 40 extra gas, cooler, camping gear, boating gear, tools, toys, etc. I am not wanting to be broke down on highway or rear end something because no brakes and old suburban tow rig has crappy OEM brakes.

I tried ordering some Amazon High Country tires, but they are old stock 3 year old china tires from 2017 and the side walls feel pretty thin for a load range 10. Trying to get a return going or might use them for spare if the seller refuses to take em back. Meanwhile, I went to local tire shop and they quoted me $300 out the door for a pair of Greenball towmaster in a 12 ply equivalent load range F. It is a fresh tire, speed rated to 81 with 3200 to 3500 load rating, up from the 2800 pound normal limit in a 10 ply/E tire I normally would buy. They say these hold up better than most the other china made trailer tires they have tried. I know the china made tires can blow up easy and hoping this one in an all steel belted F rated tire might be good enough? Anyone tried these or know anything? I see walmart and costco sell the E range ones.

And the old surge controller is locked up. I ordered a whole new UFP A 60 actuator unit to slide into the outer part that is welded onto the trailer tongue, $200, but looked easier than trying to replace just the master cylinder and finding out everything else is rusted out and waiting for expensive parts to come.

I bought some 12X2 backing plates, bearings, seals from a reputable spring and axle place I like when I had to go 100 miles away to the big city for a doc appointment. It was $300 and the backing plates are not galvanized, just power coated, but I can return what I do not use. I am considering saving some money and just order the galvanized plates and cheaper bearings from Pacific Trailer, but I will not be using the trailer in salt water, so maybe what I have is fine and I can pay a bit extra to support a good local store. Hoping the brake lines will blow out fine, but they might be rusted out and need replacement as well.

The winch looked original and had only 3 ft left of strap, so I bought the fulton F2 for $150

So I am at $950 now just to get a set of reasonable tires and replace all the old rusty brake parts and new bearings and seals. I hope it is not overkill, but seems like what a gal has to do to get her boat to the water safely. I think the boat got maintained better and I have repair receipts, but I am taking this a red flag to go through the boat and do all fluids, cap, rotor, wires, impeller, thermostat and replace 3 gauges that are not working. I understand the joke of Break out another thousand. Thanks for any help with my project.

mcmarcia

Seaman Apprentice
I am keeping the old winch, it is a made in USA shelby 5408, probably from 1993. It just needs a new strap, looks like good craftsmanship and works just fine once I lubed it. The fulton F2 would not work on the winch mount as it is near vertical and the adjustment knob was obstructed by the winch mounting frame without some mods that might interfere with operation,

kenny nunez

Captain
One thing that I have noticed from my years as a marine shop owner is how the leaf springs become rusted together and are no longer “live” and are now a solid mass. One of the things I would tell my customers is to keep the springs coated with oil.
The last used trailer I bought I pulled the springs off then disassembled ,sanded each leaf, coated each with grease and reassembled. With solid springs the boat takes a beating.
As far as brakes go the Disc brakes are probably the best things to happen.

mcmarcia

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Kenny for your help. The springs do look like a mess of old paint and rust, but no sign of cracked springs. I will spray them down and can take them to the spring shop eventually to have them looked at. I wondered about disc brakes. Can I install disk brakes and still use the surge brake system, or does that require going electric with a brake controller? I figured the hydraulic surge system works as it can handle being submerged better than electric brakes, but maybe I can use the hydraulic system and buy some backer plates with disc brakes?

kenny nunez

Captain
The Disc brake kits require a solenoid that is activated by the reverse light circuit otherwise they lock up so good that it may be hard to back up.
I have converted 2 trailers to Disc brakes with kits and they are the way to go and plan on installing them on my current 20’ Taylor SC Jet boat trailer.
I have added them to a trailer that had drum brakes but used the original surge brake actuator with no problem. Since they are out in the open they dry off as soon as you start moving.

mcmarcia

Seaman Apprentice
I will look into the disc option conversion and see if I can get discs installed.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
When you're looking at the conversion, make sure you get a three port blocking solenoid valve, verses just a two port. The three port releases system brake pressure to the reservoir when activated. With the two port, if you're pointed downhill when you go into reverse, the brakes will remain applied.

You'll also need a 5 pin or 7 pin connector for the trailer and the tow vehicle. I would go with the 7 pin as it's more universal.

mcmarcia

Seaman Apprentice
I think I will skip the disc brake conversion. Disc brakes are superior for sure, but looks like quite a bit of work and money for old boat/trailer. I would rather upgrade the brakes in my suburban, but for now just going to get existing drum brakes working. One problem is I have an odd trailer axle size, 4300 pound axle and not 100% sure on getting the right parts to work and want to get this done so I can boat and not be waiting for parts. I think my axle is same as a 12X2 5500 pound, but until I get into them and measure everything and see actual bearing and spindle sizes, be hard to know I can get the right parts. Hopefully today I will have some time, but need to get dog to vet and some other priority errands to run.

Any ideas on the load range F greenball tires, I think I going to get them.

matt167

Captain
Greenball is cheap BUT an all steel in a 12 ply 225/75r15 is almost unheard of. Actually looks like that would be it, being the Greenball Towmaster.. I would get them

mcmarcia

Seaman Apprentice
Yes Greenball Tow master in a steel belted F rating ST225/75/R15 I had no idea they even had an F rating for this size. the local tire place sells a ton of trailer and off road tires (Moab, UT, go figure) and they have had good experience with them here. I think the $300 price for a pair mounted is good and I can support a local business. No word from the amazon seller, Libra Trailer, they are ignoring my request for a return for the old stock High Country tires. I guess they will be my spare and I will have an extra kicking around here, but do not trust a 3 year old no name china old stock tire for my heavy single axle boat trailer with crazy heat we can get here.

Still no time to work on trailer, out of town all day. But Wed looks open, thinking I do full tune and fluids and whatever else I can get done.

mcmarcia

Seaman Apprentice
I got sidetracked with work, life and going through a full tune and fixing some other issues with the boat. But I tried to remove the UPF A-60 actuator today and even after soaking for several days now in some kano kroil penetrating lubricant, the 2 pins that hold the actuator in place and should just slide right out, are totally frozen by rust. I tried a huge sledge hammer and nothing happens. I got more penetrating lube inside with a tiny hose and hoping maybe tomorrow I will have success, but I got a feeling it may end up at a local mechanic/welder for some major demo work to get the old actuator out. Maybe someone here has some tricks to help get the 2 big pins to loosen up? Such an easy thing to do, but extensive rust has welded the pins in place.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Greenball Towmasters are horrible. I had two blow out within 150 miles of eachother. Bought Maxxis to replace them and they have over 5 years on them. Greenball towmasters used to be made in the US by Goodyear. Wonder if they got bad at the same time Goodyear sent their Marathon manufacturing to China.

mcmarcia

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Bruce. I have maxxis on my travel trailer, they are 4 years old with good tread and no sign of dry rot. I will look and see if I can find some maxxis, but they did not show up when I was out tire shopping. Maybe I can locate some. Seems to be a big problem with most all trailer tires being made in China.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Bruce. I have maxxis on my travel trailer, they are 4 years old with good tread and no sign of dry rot. I will look and see if I can find some maxxis, but they did not show up when I was out tire shopping. Maybe I can locate some. Seems to be a big problem with most all trailer tires being made in China.
Another option is the US made Goodyear Endurance. They seem to be easier to find right now. Check Discount Tire which is the same as Americas tire for both Maxxis and the Endurance.

mcmarcia

Seaman Apprentice
I just ordered a set of the maxxis m8008. I have same tires and size on my travel trailer and they have done fine. Amazon had a good price and an extra prime day $10 discount. Good news on trailer today as it was 3rd day of pounding the 2 large pins that were rusted in place on the A-60 brake actuator part and I finally won. It was quite a grueling caveman style job of pounding and spraying penetrating lube for maybe 3-4 hours total time, but they finally broke loose so I can install new brake actuator/hitch assembly. Makes me wonder if this boat saw some salt water at some point in life?